Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past three days we've had hundreds of ladybugs all around the house, in my bedroom, around the hives............

These are gold with traditional spots, and larger then the little red ones.

They are about twice the size as the little red ones.

Flurry of activity for all the flying insects right now.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think you will find that these are Japanese beetles and yes they seem to bite you and smell very strong.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I've been seeing a buttload of ladybugs too. I watched them walk right into the entrance, the bees didn't seem to mind.

Must be a Kansas thing.

------------------
Bullseye Bill
Smack dab in the middle of the country.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The ones I've been seeing around here look more like cycloneda munda and they bite! I never got bit by a lady bug before this year. I also have seen them in the hives. I wonder if they eat varroa mites (I hope)? They eat little bugs don't they?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I find them every winter in the house and shop. They seem attracted to the dark green metal building. Mine don't bite. They do eat various small insects off my plants in the summer and are considered quite beneficial.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Are you sure they're not Mexican Bean Beetles? They are more coppery colored with little black spots.

K

·
0 Posts
Actually, these are probably the Asian ladybug, sometimes called multi-colored because of the multiple shades and spots.
They are in import(thus the name) and really are beneficial, although they are a nusance in the fall.
Yes, they are reported to bite, although I haven't experienced that, and am not trying.
They hibernate in masses (just like the boxelder bug does) and congregate on houses and try to get in.
I think we have a native species(here in MI) but I think I read that they actually migrate (I think so, don't hold me to that!)
http://greennature.com/article78.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe that the "new", larger, biting ladybugs we have been seeing over the past few years are from the asia (china?). They must not have natural predators (or at least as many)in America, because their population sure seems to be on the increase in IN. I've heard that they tend to "nibble" on you this time of year because they are looking for salts and water prior to finding a nice dark place to spend the winter.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be nice if they ate mites and hung out in the hives for the winter.......

I could go for that..

·
Registered
578 Posts
i've got heaps of the asian ladybugs around here,they seem to like old wood to hibernate in.i've been watching my bees trying to deal with them and they seem to have the same problem with the ladybugs as they do small hive beetles,namely they can't get a grip on them to sting,bite or drag them out,the best they seem to be able to do is corral or block them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
"the best they seem to be able to do is corral or block them."

Hmmmmmmmmm, sounds similar to the hive beetle...lady beetle...hive beetle....

------------------
Rob Koss

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are ladybugs, I've seen them in red now. They like to get in my house. But they die in here so I capture them and put them out the window. I've seen one inside the hive but it landed in it when I had the top open.

I don't know if there is a relationship of ladybugs with bee hives???

What about that big ugly slow moving monstrous looking bug that has bright orange guts when it's smashed? It had one of my bees crushed in it's mouth yesterday.

What is this ugly thing?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>What about that big ugly slow moving monstrous looking bug that has bright orange guts when it's smashed? It had one of my bees crushed in it's mouth yesterday.

>What is this ugly thing?

Are you sure the bee wasn't dead before he got it? I don't know much about the color of bugs guts, but what did the bug look like? A beetle? A mantis? What did it resemble?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Daisy: Here in Wisconsin we are having a bountiful year of what the locals are calling "Asian Beetle". They are hanging around the south side of my house in large numbers. Some are finding their way inside and hanging on my kitchen ceiling. A dustbuster hand vac works great. Bottom line is how many can I send you? I would love to share them with anyone who can find a good use for them!! Don't believe there are any natural predators other than my hand vac. Good beekeeping. K.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kooka, that's not it.

Just thinking about this bug gives me the shivers.... it's so ugly'

It's a brown gray green color. Hard to describe.

It's monstrous looking, and sorta robot like body. It walks slowly over the ground. Doesnt have wings. About an inch and a quarter long. Moves like a robot.

It has those jaws at the mouth big enough to clasp the whole bees body in it.

And we have a sort of a grand daddy spider that takes bee parts to it's home whereever it lives. They're mostly hanging around the hives. It's a purple sorta color... They like the thrown out pupae the best.

Then those army of bee wolves......

We got em all......

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Karl, I'll pass on the ladybugs for now.

Would of been nice if they were here earlier in the year when there were lots of little flying bugs in the air. We had a bad case of biting nats this year. Ouch. Them thangs hurt.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Micheal, I could put up pictures. I have a digital camera, if I can find the dang cord that goes in the puter!

It's always something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
brown -green color
monstourus looking
robot-like body
jaws at the mouth that can clasp
the whole bees body .
sounds like a praying mantis
maybe if you could get it in a jar
you could take to your local county extension agent and they could identify it ??
Zeke

1 - 20 of 31 Posts