Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I have experimented with the FLIR One Pro ($400) camera that attaches to an iPhone.

https://www.flir.com/products/flir-...MIzJOBkMPK4AIVRCaGCh1PFw9BEAQYAyABEgLMr_D_BwE

I did not find it useful for monitoring beehives during the winter, because how the image looked was so highly dependent on the camera's chosen settings. Meaning, a hive could look either alive or dead, depending on the chosen imaging parameters. Consequently, I would have to photograph the hive in question next to hive known to be alive, in order to be able to properly interpret the image. This made it pretty much useless for my application.

Other users have produced useful-looking images, and I could produce great looking images, as well. But, looking at a stand-alone hive, not knowing whether it was alive or dead, the camera was not helpful answering the question of whether it was a deadout.

Maybe my results would be better with a more expensive model, like the C2, but $400 was already pushing my personal cost envelope. And, for $400 I want easy and reliable results, which the FIR One Pro wasn't producing. I returned my FLIR One Pro unit for a refund.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see what you mean about the Flir One not being too useful for the job at hand. Yes, others have posted what looked like better images that were more distinct. So I guess the question I should have asked was, for those who have posted good thermal definition pictures of live winter hives, what camera and model were you using?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts