Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow you guys are braving than me, I find the bees attack flashlights at night.

I remember one night when I was adding a box of wets back onto a hive and made the mistake of wearing a head torch/flashlight. Got a nice sting between the eyes :)

I tend to leave them bee at night times....Gary

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only check my observation window at night. I use an led flashlight without issue. My Texas bees are on the defensive side so even checking the window during the day results in 2 or 3 bees sternly investigating me requiring me to use gear to feel comfortable. So I do my quick window checks at night with a light and they don't mind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I just check the observation window. I'm going to try using the flashlight during the day too while I peek in the observation window. It should make it much easier to see.

Thanks everyone. If someone disagrees, I hope he or she chimes in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Patricia, we use flashlights through our observation windows almost every day, and knock wood, it hasn't been a problem. I find it really useful to see if the "floor" of each hive is clean, and to peak a little deeper between the combs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I use a LED light to check my hives almost every night. I can walk right up to the hive and hold it close to the bees bearding around the entrance and they just ignore it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts