Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In May one of my hives (strongest hive by far) went queenless during mite treatment (formic pro). This hive was bursting at the seams so I was going to split after treatment. When I discovered it was queenless there were multiple formed queen cells on several frames. So I went ahead, made the split and divided the frames between the 2 splits. I waited approximately 3 weeks for mated queens to return and begin laying, none did.

Attempt 2: Around the 3rd week of waiting in both splits I noticed new queen cells formed with eggs only in the queen cells which I new were from LW. I decided to put 1 open/capped brood frame into both splits and gave it another shot. Same thing, queen cells formed, hatched, waited 2-3 weeks, no mated queens laying after this time.

Attempt 3: Purchased 2 mated queens and introduced to hives. Split 1 accepted queen, I let them release her, all is well to this day. Split 2 did not accept queen. I wrapped foil around the entrance so they could not release and kill her. I left the queen cage in split 2 for 3 days. After this time they still did not accept her so I made a rather large push in cage nearly the size of a deep frame. I put the push in cage on a frame with open cells for laying, pollen/nectar and open/capped brood. I put that frame as well as a second frame of open/capped brood into split 2, to give it a lil extra pheromone kick. After day 4 they appeared to have accepted her; hardly any bees on cage, none of which were stinging. Also she laid in just about if not every open cell. Before work I decided to release her, I watched for several minutes and all seemed well. The following morning (2 days ago) I check on her to find her balled up and dead on the floor.

Note: This entire time split 2 continued to form queen cells/cups which I destroyed. Funny thing is I never noticed and still dont see cells with multiple eggs as you typically see with LW, only the queen cells have eggs in them. Every queen cup they make has an egg and queen jelly in it. The cells are located all over the hive, top center bottom.

I did not/don't want to do the shake out because I've heard horror stories and do not want my other hives affected. I also do not want to combine hives because again I do not want to affect my other hives + they're already 2 deeps and super strong.

My questions: Before I spend another $80 on a new queen, do I have a chance of re-queening this stubborn hive or is it too far along? For this attempt I plan on trying the screened bottom technique. Do I need to screen off the front entrance and inner cover vent of the queen box? I feel like this is a "duh yes" but I haven't read/watched this in any instructional so just want to be sure. Also, how many bees do I need to be in the queens box? Would the several that comes with the queen + whatever hatches from the 1 brood frame be sufficient? Also, I fear at this point I've already dumped so many frames of brood into this hive I should probably buy 2 queens and make another split. From the numbers you couldn't tell this hive has been queenless for nearly 3 months.

Thank you!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
It is ALWAYS too late to waste money buying a queen for a laying worker hive. It's a waste of money. They will always kill the queen. A queen cell might work, a frame of open brood every week for three weeks might work, but at this point you're too far along. Think about the age of the population of bees and the longevity of a worker. A worker lives about six weeks. In order to be laying workers at all you probably have no bees under the age of three weeks. Now three weeks later you have a bunch of geriatric workers about to die of old age.

Everything you need to know about laying workers:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm

·
Registered
306 Posts
You've done what you can to save it with the push in cage. At this point, I'd stop spending resources on it and chalk it up as a loss. Sounds like a shake out is in order. If it would make you feel better, just go 3 or 4 miles away to shake them out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts