Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I left for a new job in Utah and two days later I get a call and my dad sends me a few pictures.

Apparently some sort of creature, most likely a bear got into the hive. Luckily it was only one hive.

For now we've frozen the comb that is damaged and plan on trying to put that into some foundationless lang frames next year since I'm done trying TBH's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it was unfortunate because that queen was a great layer. Of all four hives that I have, this was the one I wanted most to make it through the winter.

Luckily the other three which sit next to it (not pictured) were not touch

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Jared, Sorry that your hive got messed up. I have bees in slight bear country right now but I am going to total bear country soon with them and I have been reading up on bear proofing. I'm thinking a platform type setup with 3 walls and a door but the front face of it will be raised up high enough that a bear won't be able to access it. I'll be sure to let the forum know if what I make works but it is going to take a little while. I wish you well with the rest of getting through this. That bear will be back from what I understand. An electric fence may help I'm not sure at this point but I hope it can. Good Luck!!!! VW

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Bummer, keep your head up, it's just nature. Do your research on the forum to see what others are doing about a similar situation and then work with what you can afford/are willing to spend. Virginiawolf has a good suggestion, I am sure there will be others too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the responses.

We'll be putting up electric fences as our first measure since we're looking to have more hives next year.

And I'm going to do a better job with the stands. Next spring I'm going to ditch the cinder blocks.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
We'll be putting up electric fences as our first measure .
You may want to train the bear, drup a bacon strip over the top(hot) wire, also you can paint peanut butter over a can of womans hair spray. But keep in mind, know your surrounding becarful not to zap pets and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts