Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 strong hives in double deeps, but when I went to Super, the girls just were not interested in moving up. After leaving for a few weeks, I decided to start feeding in order to at least get some more frames drawn. So I checked them after 2 weeks and finally some of the middle frames are getting drawn out and they are going after syrup pretty hard (I’m assuming dearth).

There are some pretty full frames of Honey on the outsides of deeps, which of course I know I need to leave for them to make it through winter. Would it be ok to move those honey frames up into the Super and replace with foundation frames in order to get more drawn comb?

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
are you in northern or southern mississippi?

either way a whole deep of honey is much more than will be needed to get them through winter.

you may get more comb drawn during the dearth by keeping syrup on the hives, but it will be filled with syrup honey and therefore have limited usefulness.

the other factor is you will keep your colonies brooding whereas they might take a brood break during the dearth. this will put more wear and tear on your queens and make it a little bit more likely they could fail during the winter. also, your mite loads going into fall with be higher.

getting comb drawn is one of greater challenges with growing an apiary. my experience is that there is only a month or two of prime comb drawing in our general location when feeding syrup is avoided.

i would consider just letting them be as is and plan on splitting the doubles into singles next season as part of swarm management and making increase. a medium of honey is more than adequate for getting them through winter, even if you are in the northern most part of the state.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
My hives are in Kosciusko
so my latitude is a bit north of yours and i am at 1350' asl on a windy ridge top.

i am comfortable with my recommendation that your colonies won't need a full deep of honey to get them through winter.

unless of course they are not so thrifty italians. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts