Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This is my first year keeping bees, completed a beekeeping course back in Feb and picked up my Nuc last night! They were out buzzing around all day and I transferred them to my hive late afternoon. I have 8 frame hive bodies, I was able to fit three new frames along with the existing NUC frames. The NUC was LOADED with bees, could barely see the comb. The only thing I was really able to pick out was one side of a frame loaded with capped honey. I couldn't find the queen, but I did see one open queen cell. So, I decided to add another hive body, with 6 additional frames and a feeder. Just wanted to be sure they had enough room as the three extra frames didn't seem like enough for all those bees. Did I give them TOO much room?

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
My rule of thumb for adding new boxes is 70%-80% drawn frame. Since you are using 8 frame boxes you are good to go. This must have been an overwintered nuc to do this well.

Good Luck with your new hobby.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I appreciate the reply! Very excited to finally have them, I have been planning this for a few years. I live on a small suburban lot, so there were a lot of things to consider. The location they are in now is just temporary for this year. I have a better spot planned, but it requires a little site work (relocating a sprinkler head, removing some grass, etc.) but I want to be sure this first year goes smoothly first. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts