Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 2 deep brood boxes, with a screen feeder board above them with newspaper and suger on top on both hives... these went on in late Dec because both hives were lite.
This past Tuesday lifted the tops to do a quick inspection. One hive most of the sugar was gone, lots of bees covering the frame bars, in a ball under the inner cover on the rest of the sugar. I placed a couple of sugar blocks on this hive, the second hive the bees are taking the sugar.. maybe a 3rd of it and apparently moving it into the boxes as there was not a lot of activity under the inner cover but a lot of activity in/out of the entrance.

My concern now is the forcast is calling for snow next week, extended forcast with highs in the mid 30's. for the next 10 days and the bee's under the inner cover. I don't think is a good compination. I have not placed any insulation on the inner cover.... yet

This weekend I have a couple days that will be in the 60's. and am feeling this is my last chance to help them make it thru March.

I need some suggestions, maybe add empty super box above the inner with insulation in it? I don't think trying to get them moved back into the brood box is the right thing or will even work

Appreciate advice.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My concern now is the forcast is calling for snow next week, extended forcast with highs in the mid 30's. for the next 10 days and the bee's under the inner cover. I don't think is a good compination. I have not placed any insulation on the inner cover.... yet

This weekend I have a couple days that will be in the 60's. and am feeling this is my last chance to help them make it thru March.

I need some suggestions, maybe add empty super box above the inner with insulation in it? I don't think trying to get them moved back into the brood box is the right thing or will even work

Appreciate advice.
Well,

If they have made it through the coldest part of winter without insulation, I would not add it now. Weather.com had your lows for the rest of the month in the mid to low twenties. They just came through single digits probably colder. I know beekeeping is local, and you are a seven hour drive from us, and your climate is a full zone or two warmer than ours. That said, I would not worry about those temps now.

A windbreak helps. If you have a screened bottom board, I would make sure it is closed off. We are much colder than you guys and none of my beek friends or I have ever insulated or wrapped our hives. However, next year I am going to start experimenting with insulating hives, especially nucs.

HTH,

Shane

·
Registered
92 Posts
My bees are clustered above the bars in a similar fashion. I have a sugar bricks sitting on on the bars, a spacer, and 1/8" hardware cloth on the top so I can check on them. They've been clustering up top above the bars (and in the frames) when it was down to 6 degrees. Don't worry about them, they'll be fine and you probably couldn't easily force them down anyway.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Don't expect bees to find sugar or feed in cold weather on top of an inner cover. It is not close to reliable. The sugar needs to be in contact with the cluster to get used.

It is not too late to put insulation over your inner cover. The purpose of the insulation is to stop moisture to condense above the bees on cold surfaces and then drip down on the cluster and wet and chill the bees. Good luck in the cold, but starvation kills and getting wet kills, not the cold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, the sugar is below the inner cover and they are getting it, so I'm good there... I do wonder if they move down in the frames some as it cools down at night and when I check them at 60 deg, they are just up there feeding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts