Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday bees were flying in/out of their hives and taking syrup from the feeder I placed away from the hive bodies. It was in the 60's so I figured I would pop the lids and make a quick inspection. There are still partially consumed Bee-Pro patties sitting on top of the frames. There were bees climbing around within and on top of a few frames. I did not take any frames out since I did not want them to get too cold. It looks like things are going well.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I believe so. I am expecting rain, high 40's to mid 50's and above freezing nights. Thanks for the heads up from your previous post. I am good to go.

·
Registered
507 Posts
ccar2000,

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you,though the recet rains have caused sme black mold to grow the the rain-facing surface of my hive, and I also have some moisture and mold from the rain forming in the seam between the supers, as well as starting now on the frame rests and frame ears.

I'm in the Bay Area, where we are really getting pounded. Where is Littlerock and if you are getting a great deal of rain as well, are you seeing any sgns of mold in your hives.

Not sure if a bit of mold is something I should be worried about or not - if it's happening in my hive I'm sure it happening within the tree trunks and wild hive of all the feral bees out there in the same rain, so I suspect it's not too big of a deal, but am interested in anyone with experience or an opinion on the question of some mold in the hive...

-fafrd

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Glad to hear things are doing well. My hive is strong & bringing in pollen between downpours of rain. My wifes is weak, but raising brood. I think ours will make it also.

I've had enough of this rain. 5" in the backyard this week so far.

Don't think I'd worry about the mold. Can't do much about it with this kind of weather. Hopefully we'll get some sunshine one of these days.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume that the girls will go ahead and take care of any cleaning necessary inside. Are your hive bodies painted? This is my first winter and I am not having any mold problems. I had snow on the ground this morning, did not stick around though. I sure am glad I went with the telescoping covers! Had you been feeding pollen patties?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts