Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First week check of package bees

I am currently feeding them until they stop per guy I got them from

I just checked my two hives, all 10frame, mediums one box each at the moment and wax foundations.

Hive 1 has 7 frames with comb plus alot of clear what I assume is sugar water, plus darker cells brood I guess but could not see larva etc.

Hive 2 exact same thing but all 10 frames are drawn and also has what I assume is sugar water but alot more.

1. Is this sugar water and if so should I stop feeding?
2. Should I add a 2nd box to hive 2 since is it all drawn and every frame has either brood and or sugar water.

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would keep feeding as long as the bees will take it. You are correct, they put the sugar syrup up like honey--it is crystal clear with very white wax.

The box that is full, for sure go ahead and add another. If running 10 frame boxes, I would add another when you have seven frames drawn.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I say when 80% of the box is being worked on/covered with bees. A package is a wax making machine and I would advise you to get them to draw as much comb as possible in warm conditions. Remember your population is going to drop about 1 1/2% a day natural attrition of wearing out or getting eaten. I doubt the dark cells are brood in a week. Probably pollen being stored. Your queen if released might not even be laying yet. Was there a caged queen in this package or was it loose for some reason?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It's rare that bees will quit feeding on sugar syrup. I've seen them quit only twice in twelve years and that was only momentary. They will keep taking syrup as long as you give it to them or until they swarm. Over feeding is another way to cause swarming. When there is a nectar flow quit feeding.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I truly respect that everyone has their opinion, but bee keeping, is one hobby where a lot of opinions are 180 deg apart.

In all due respect I am at a loss here, feed or not to feed?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
What ever makes you comfortable. If there isn't a nectar flow feed, if there is a nectar flow you don't need to feed because there is nectar available. Sugar is not a magic elixir for the bees to produce comb. Nectar is healthier for them and cheaper for you. We've all had our learning curves and made our mistakes you'll learn more from mistakes.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I truly respect that everyone has their option, but bee keeping, is one hobby where a lot of options are 180 deg apart.

I put a new package in on May 5th. Put in about 3/4 of a quart of syrup. They ate that quickly and after that I've not fed them and they are doing just fine. If they've got a decent amount of syrup in the hive they'll be fine. And there should be a good decent flow going on right now. There is here. Black locusts are in full bloom. Basswood coming soon too.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
There is absolutely no proof that granulated white sugar is any less healthy for bees than nectar. The primary element in both is SUGAR produced by a PLANT! If you want to keep your bees steadily growing and drawing comb and fill however many boxes you choose to designate for the bees to live in over the entire course of the year, judiciously feed granulated sugar. If you need style points and some fools you will never meets approval, by all means eschew feeding cheap easily obtainable white granulated sugar.

You can feed so much that the bees run out of room to raise babies and room to live in that area you designated for brood box/s. Not putting on a second brood box on or a super, while the bees need the room, works out to exactly the same problem.

It is called beekeeping. You have these massive frontal lobes that can take advantage of other peoples observations and say, "HarK! This box is filling up and my bees need another box. That box is for honey I want to eat so I will quit feeding sugar so they store nectar for me to eat because my huge frontal lobes tell me that I like this honey better than bee processed granulated white sugar!" OR " Hark! I want to fool my bees into thinking they are on a never ending flow and cause them to keep building comb and filling that comb with brood and building other cells to store that bee processed granulated sugar!" "With my huge frontal lobes I can now see that these brood boxes lack room for the bees to raise the large number of desired brood if I keep giving them a constant flow of granulated sugar produced by PLANTS instead of available nectar."

"Now it plain that it is time to put on a super!" Since I have these huge frontal lobes but no drawn different sized comb and the bees may not want to go into this empty alien territory, I will quickly realize that if I put 9 frames in two medium supers leaving the center position open, I can Move a frame of drawn comb with brood and no bees up into the empty holes." " Now I will get the bees instantly working up in the alien territory."

But if you need style points------Don't listen to a thing I said.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
There has been research on which is healthier sugar or nectar. There are essential nutrients in nectar that are not in sugar. Style. approval don't need either. Only sharing my experience not forcing my will on anyone. Trying to help out. I'll feed till a nectar flow and no point for me to feed until the flows over. I'm not the only beekeeper that does that I'm sure. Why spend the money on sugar if you already have the natural resources available. If you had more than a hand full of hives you'd see the economical side. The comment was made to feed until they stop! Would you consider that good advice? It's not about my way, your way, it's about many ways for someone to choose. I say again feed if it makes you comfortable. I don't disrespect others and their methods or ideas I just want to help others keep healthy bees!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I truly respect that everyone has their option, but bee keeping, is one hobby where a lot of options are 180 deg apart.

If they are building comb, they will benefit from 1:1 syrup. If the first brood box is about full, add another before they get honey-bound. Keep an eye on things. The queen needs room to lay, the workers are building comb. Assuming you are planning to have two deep boxes for brood, feed until they have drawn out the foundation in those boxes. If they do that and there is a flow on then, quit feeding them and add a honey super. Unless you want to give them extra honey stores, what's in the two deeps is for them, and the honey supers on top are for you.

A first year hive you may not get to put honey supers on. And you may need to feed again in the fall. I use the word "may" a lot because it seems every hive is different, every year is different, and every location is different. I'm not a master beekeeper, commercial beekeeper, expert beekeeper, nor am I omnipotent. I humbly offer a little advice as someone who has been doing this as a hobby for about 12 years, and I have run from 2 to 5 hives. I have picked up a thing or two over the years. If nothing else, I have learned from my mistakes. Good luck. What most beekeepers do is listen to others' opinions, and try to figure out a plan that makes sense to them. What I tell people is if you ask 10 beekeepers a question, you'll get a dozen answers. The best you can do is try to do what makes sense to you.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I apologize if you considered my rant a personal attack, it was not meant as such certainly not against you. I do attack the war against feeding sugar by the many who would not have bees if a professional Beekeeper making a living off bees, some where was not feeding sugar to produce the bees .Undoubtedly nectar is good for the bees just like mothers milk is better than formula. Granulated sugar from plants is good for bees too.

But the bottom line is the beekeeper has to make some decisions and Keep the Bees! In my strongly stated opinion, judicious feeding of bees to rapidly get comb drawn and population peaked for a honey flow or just for winter is some how frowned upon and that is bunk.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I never let my children starve and I would never let my bees starve. Not at all opposed to feeding sugar. My bees make my living for me and I do my best to help them do that. It's good to see a lot of people with a passion for beekeeping, I remember when you were hard pressed to meet a beekeeper let alone talk to one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts