Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m anxious to get going on my splits and grafting queens. Never done this before. Do folks time grafting based on the condition of parent hives, climate/flows, other factors? We have drones hatched but there isn’t a flow on right now. Hives are building up well. Has anyone in the Midwest (Kansas/Missouri) grafted yet? I don’t wanna fall behind. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you have drones emerging, you should be good to go. Just need a good supply of pollen coming in, stored, or you need to drop in some sub, depending on how many cells you are gonna try to get pulled, and how big/crowded your cell builder is.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If it is your first time I'd plan a dress rehearsal into your schedule. It isn't difficult, but the staging is important. You may want to actually graft a few to get the feel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I went ahead and gave it a try yesterday. I’ve got some boomer hives that could be split any time if I had cells. For me, getting the swarm box (cell starter) stocked was the toughest part. Was pretty chaotic. I grafted 20 cells and am anxious to see how I did and if any take.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts