Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The ranger at a park here in ohio wants me to try to remove some honey bees from a tree. This will be my first trap out.

What I plan on doing is to wait until next month as the weather will be a bit better. Then design a trap. I'm going to use a "Bee escape" - (you know the kind that they sell for getting the bees out of the super), and some foil and seal up all openings in the tree.

I then am going to put this bee escape opening into a nuc box, so that the bees have to walk thru the nuc box to exit. The nuc will have some drawn comb frames, and some straps to tie it to the tree.

Will also put up a sign "Live Bees" Please don't touch - to keep the public away from disturbing my setup.

Then give it a week or two and see what happens.

Two questions: Am I missing anything? and any suggestion on who's bee escape is better than the others?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Planning on doing something simular myself. Never tried it. Only one way to find out if it will work and that is to do it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Registered
323 Posts
About the same thing here, except my trap-out is in a garage. May I suggest GOOGLE "Bee Trap out", some good photos and info. It seems that a woven wire screen shaped into a cone is the way to go, 12 to 18" long. One can shape it to suit or conform to the bees entrance. Place the catch hive (w/frame of brood/eggs and one of honey/pollen/etc.) entrance as close as possible to the cone.
From what I gather, we do not want the forage bees exiting, but want them on the return when there full of goodies and can't get in there hive to make a deposit. When the temp. drops at night they "SHOULD" enter the catch hive.
The weather in NW Oh is iffy at best this time of the year, so I am going to wait a few weeks, before moving a box with brood and take the chance of a cold snap. I also plain to use a 5 frame NUC. The entrance is 7' up.:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That Kelly bee nuc box looks interesting. A little bit expensive at ~$60 but might be worth at least one. Just ordered me one.

tks
-jp

·
Registered
415 Posts
I saw the designer set up one of the swarm harvesters the other day and it would work perfectly for a trap out and you do not have to try to make the foil or screen cone already has a one way bee escape made into it you would just have to block off the entrance tube and they have to go out the bee escape. I agree it is a little pricey but can be used many times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts