Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's happening. I'm hiving two packages this evening. I'm all ready and just waiting on my Lady to finish work so that she can play too;)

I've placed the hives and mixed up a 5 gallon bucket of syrup with some homemade HBH. I'm a bit curious as to how the syrup will work out because the oils and lethicin tends to clump up a bit no matter how much stirring I do.
I'll be placing baggies on the frames and that's good because it's going to rain here for several days.

Wish me luck:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good luck to you. I just hived my first bees with my mentor. A few stupid mistakes. Our first package was in a bad mood and he was stung 5 times. The we realised we had not removed the cork from the queen cage, had to open it up to do soo and REALLY ticked them off. I did the second pkg and they were lambs. No stings. Now I will just obsess about them leaving ect!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well, it's happening. I'm hiving two packages this evening. I'm all ready and just waiting on my Lady to finish work so that she can play too;)

I've placed the hives and mixed up a 5 gallon bucket of syrup with some homemade HBH. I'm a bit curious as to how the syrup will work out because the oils and lethicin tends to clump up a bit no matter how much stirring I do.
I'll be placing baggies on the frames and that's good because it's going to rain here for several days.

Wish me luck:)
What is HBH??

·
Registered
429 Posts
be sure to keep it in the fridge, even with the additives, it will grow mold, and yhen they won't take it. I only mix about 1 gal at a time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Break a leg - I did my first two packages last night. The adrenaline was really going waiting for the first sting. It kept building and i never got stung. :)

Not sure if it's kosher in the bee world, but after putting the inner cover on i put the package on upside down over the small opening. While mixing up my syrup (which i forgot to do) the stragglers found their way in.

Just relax, the bees know what to do. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts