Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

First time tbh

2297 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  J-Rat
When first starting out with a package of bees how many top bars do you start with? All of them?

Mike A.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
I'm new to bee keeping, and my package of bee's should ship 04/07/14. I've done a lot of reading and joined two bee clubs. asked lot's of questions.
When the bee's arrive I plan to hang the queen cage between bars 3 and 4 on a 6'' wire. With 12 bars and follower board feeder.
Once the queen is out of the cage. I will move the follower board and feeder to the back of the hive.

· Registered
61 Posts
I have made a few changes since that pic. I added a bottom board on a hinge so I will keep in closed most of the time. ( I'll let the bees let me know if they need more air. bearding and such.) I also added 2" screened vents on both gables. ( found them at true value hardware) I also made one bar with six holes drilled and screened to help vent to the dead air space above the bars. Summer time temps. get over 100 degrees where I live.
I have a lot to learn and am open to new info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.