Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got poped twice today. Once top and the bottom of my left wrist. My hand to my knuckles and most of my forearm is swollen. And where it is swollen it hurts bad. Never had a reaction to stings before. Haven't been stung to many times either. +/- 20. Guess sometimes they get you good.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I've heard people say that stings from winter bees are worse than stings from summer bees. The first stings of the year can be the worst because our tolerance has waned over winter. And a possibility is that there is more bacteria buildup around the stinger of a winter bee because of not having enough cleansing flights. (I'm assuming your bees had plenty of cleansing flights in Texas though.)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Spring stings will sometimes show a bit more reaction as your anti-bodies have dropped over the winter. The next ones should be less reactive...think Chuck Norris thoughts the next time you get stung and I bet it just goes away. :D

·
Registered
850 Posts
Never had a reaction to stings before. Haven't been stung to many times either. +/- 20. Guess sometimes they get you good.
There is some evidence that sometimes your reaction to stings can get worse over time. Can also be caused by certain medications. Hopefully you will be just fine.
Search on my name or thread on stings for citations.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Got poped twice today. Once top and the bottom of my left wrist. My hand to my knuckles and most of my forearm is swollen. And where it is swollen it hurts bad. Never had a reaction to stings before. Haven't been stung to many times either. +/- 20. Guess sometimes they get you good.

Put a little bacon on it :D:D:D

·
Registered
706 Posts
countryboy, You are correct on winter stings being worst bees do have bacteria build up around their stinger. How do I know this? got stung and my arm the next day went red hot red streek up my arm. my Dr. told me it was a bacterial infection from the bee. So your right on the money on that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Guess it's a good thing that when I saw that bee INSIDE my veil today while working a swarm that I held my breath and got away from the now flying swarm and stipped off my gear to get her butt outta there. Tho it's still a mystery how she got in there in the first place, I check all zippers and velcro, everything appeared to be as it should have been...just glad I didn't get hit. My gloves did have about 4 or 5 hits tho.

Craig

·
Registered
238 Posts
About every tenth sting or so seems to cause me a bad reaction. Took 3 the other day with very little effect..just some itching and reddness...but every so often I'll get one that swells me up like a water ballon. Not sure what the difference is.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got these two from a cutout yesterday morning. Very calm while doing the job. Apparently after you vacuum up the bees the longer they are in the box the more angry they get. Had on my little leather yard work gloves when I opened the box to dump them in and a couple got me right where the gloves stopped at the wrist.

The forearm swelling has gone done, but my left hand is still pretty swollen. Still hurts a little but nothing like last night. Took some Tylenol last night for the pain and that was like giving an aspirin to an elephant. Found some hydrocodone I had left over from surgery a couple years ago and that did nothing. Looks like its getting better though. Must be something to those winter stings. It better be getting better I am fishing all day on Wednesday before I get screwed into having to work on Thursday and Friday and I could barely grip a pole today.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the same problem, I never used to. If I get stung now I will swell at the site, sometimes pretty bad. If I get stung more then once I may even get hives. So I now keep Benadryl with me when I am working one of the hives in the bee yard that is about 20 minutes from me.
I used to work the bees without a whole lot of bee clothing, but now I cover up.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where's the pictures?
Here are a couple I had the wife just take. Keep in mind I got stung yesterday at 1:30ish. So this is 30+ hours later. I didn't take a pic of the forearm. That swelling is pretty much gone. You can see the red dot on my wrist she got me good.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Seems the wife never has to be asked twice about taking pictures... after she stops laughing of course :lpf:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts