Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite our efforts, my strongest hive swarmed today as my boyfriend and I had just finished inspecting a smaller hive. It was an amazing site to see! At first, they settled into a branch of an oak tree, 30 feet in the air. Then they moved around to the other side and seem to have found an opening in the tree. John Palmer was kind enough to pick up the phone when I called for help and instructed me how to set up a trap using Lemongrass oil (thank you, John!). It doesn’t look like they’re paying much attention to it but a girl can dream!

I hate losing this queen. My first hives came from nucs I bought last year from John Davis. I called this lady my Uber Queen. The hive she left still has a boat load of bees plus there are two new capped queen cells in that hive. Amazing!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Denise, After talking with you, I had another swarm of my own. Happened as I was bringing a customer back to the apiary to get their nuc. So, new beekeeper couple from Beaverdam got to see what a swarm looks like up close. I cut the top of the tree out to get them. The LGO had them fanning even before the queen went into the box.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Weird year for me so far. Normally I am dealing with swarms, swarm cells queen cells, or something. Not this year not a cell in any of my hives. Just happy queens with and avg of 12-15 frames of brood. Loads of pollen rolling in with a small build in nectar. Guess dropping 2-3 mediums March 1st on each hive did the trick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you had an interesting day too! My swarmed bees left the tree about 2 hours after they appeared to settle in. We saw the last of them leaving but weren’t able to figure out where they went.

Denise, After talking with you, I had another swarm of my own. Happened as I was bringing a customer back to the apiary to get their nuc. So, new beekeeper couple from Beaverdam got to see what a swarm looks like up close. I cut the top of the tree out to get them. The LGO had them fanning even before the queen went into the box.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Bummer, Uber queen's daughters may prove to be as prolific, but it would have been nice if she stayed close by.

Althea, keep a close eye on things, I had plenty of space in the hive that swarmed and had even pulled a split out of it a month before. Qc's just showed up and that is pretty much the proverbial writing on the wall. I am not overly concerned if the bees swarm but I am glad I caught these two to keep my numbers above 20 now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts