Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught my first swarm of the year this afternoon. I went to check a deer feeder and while pulling the camera card out noticed it about 20 feet up in an oak tree. I quickly went and got our tractor with a bucket and had my dad lift me up with my smoker, a bucket and a brood box to the location. I cut the surrounding limbs out of the way, and shook all I could into the bucket and then into the box. The first shake probably yielded at least a gallon of bees with probably that many more left to gather after the first shake. My estimate may be wrong on the amount, but it was a very large swarm. We placed the box under the tree and after about thirty minutes their was only a softball size wad still in the tree. I am pretty sure I got the queen. This swarm was in front of about 8 hives, but I glanced at each one to see if they came from any of my boxes and all seemed well. Hopefully they will be there tomorrow evening and I can get the rest of the frames put in the deep box.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's exciting Adam! I figure Dothan is maybe 2 weeks to 10 days ahead of us....My swarm traps are getting set this week! Thanks for the info!

Maybe you could post the date and location on the Sticky: Swarm Date Thread at top of forum and make it part of the record.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Congrats! I'd be jealous if I saw this post yesterday, but since I saw it this morning after getting home from capping one myself, I've got nothing but praise for ya. I'll raise a pint to ya when I get home from work, the 2nd pint will be for myself..grin.

Craig

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I checked on them this afternoon, found the queen, and finished putting the frames in from yesterday. Greensboro, GA is a beautiful place, I went to a crop consultants meeting there three years ago and stayed at the Ritz. Bayer Crop Science paid for the stay, I could not have afforded it!! Craig, where are you at in CA? I am in extreme southern alabama, 15 minutes from GA or FL.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Adam,

I'm about 20 mins south of Sacramento. I'd love to get out of this state, but unfortunately, I think I'm stuck here for a while.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Congrats! I'm here in Ohio and we don't get swarms until around Memorial day. I need to score one for my home/pet hive that died out this winter. I need to get out to the bee yard to see "whats flying" but I'm actually scared to see whats overwintered...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts