Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forecast heavy swarming back in April but none of my hives have overcome my preventative measures yet. Today a neighbor came and told me MY BEES WERE SWARMING! A three poundish swarm was hanging in a lilac tree in the back yard of the house between ours. I equipped myself with a cardboard box to shake them in and went to collect them. A quite a few of them didn't settle into the box when I shook them. I took what I got home and shook them into a jester nuc box with a frame of honey and the rest foundation. I got the reassuring nasonoving by the entrance and took my now empty box back and shook the remaining bees next door back into the box and shook them into the nuc with the rest of the bees. A whole lot of flyers went back but over the evening they all seemed to gravitate to my nuc. About 9pm they should all be in so I can seal them in and move MY BEES out of town in the morning about ten miles away where the rest of my bees are.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
One of my best colonies was ready to swarm on schedule this year. I took those swarm cells out and mated them all and holy goodness are those good queens.

That cold snap really screwed up the apiary - many colonies that were going strong into the honey flow superceded, and of course, swarmed in addition to supercedure.

Yeah, because it went from like 40F to 80F with a good nectar flow and cooped up bees for 4 days in a row, so they laid the eggs, I missed a day, then 4 days in a row of polar weather, that's nearly a capped queen cell.

That first day out of the arctic weather was like a honey bee bomb went off.

Was like that first cleansing flight day, amplified by 10X.

I hope I can remember that day, it was really a sight to behold.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
We leave a bait hive or two in most yards. The count is up to 9 swarms have landed. Free bees are not free, but when we get done requeening, they will make us some honey.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of my best colonies was ready to swarm on schedule this year. I took those swarm cells out and mated them all and holy goodness are those good queens.

That cold snap really screwed up the apiary - many colonies that were going strong into the honey flow superceded, and of course, swarmed in addition to supercedure.

Yeah, because it went from like 40F to 80F with a good nectar flow and cooped up bees for 4 days in a row, so they laid the eggs, I missed a day, then 4 days in a row of polar weather, that's nearly a capped queen cell.

That first day out of the arctic weather was like a honey bee bomb went off.

Was like that first cleansing flight day, amplified by 10X.

I hope I can remember that day, it was really a sight to behold.
The cold killed my fruit crop for sure but we got a lot of rain that will keep the alfalfa blooming for a while. I was expecting swarms with big hives all cooped up during about ten days of non flying weather, but for some reason they didn't unless my moving honey frames down in the bottom brood box and adding supers kept them from feeling crowded. The only thing really blooming now is caragana/russian pea tree but the strongest colonies are packing it away. I will have to see what it tastes like. I do not remember if I have ever isolated any and tasted it. I hear rumors of a few alfalfa blossoms but just buds where my bees are.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Vance,
I tried your swarm prevention method, that you outlined in another thread, where you put the queen in a box on top of supers separated by excluders.
That was 5 weeks ago.
Today I pulled it apart to see if the downstairs bees had raised a queen.
What I found was, the top box with the old queen was full of brood and bees, the 2 supers were packed with honey and the bottom part was also packed with brood and bees.
Very pleased with the results.
I took the "old" queen ,she's less than a year old, and put her in a nuc. Added another super.
Thanks for sharing that technique

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to know it worked for you as I suspect it would for anyone. BUT, sometimes things just do not translate to other beekeepers or zip codes. I will do it to all my colonies that are not dinks right as the main flow starts here in a week or two or sooner if they show signs of swarm prep. The dinks will get a reverse procedure with a cell harvested from a good colony to requeen the non achievers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts