Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first swarm today but it was not what I expected. The size of the swarm was a little larger that a football and as nasty as some of the players:scratch:. From what i've read swarm should be gentle and easy to handle but this on was quite the opposite. When I first started scraping the bees into the bucket I could smell something kinda sweet smelling that was not there until I started scraping. Then bees were flying all over me and into my veil. I back of about 10 or so yards and the bees stayed with me but the guy I was working with they seemed less interested in for some reason. A few got up into my jacket but I don;t think I received any stings:thumbsup: just seem to be a bunch of angry bees for some reason. I don't think they were afriacanized because they didnt seem to bother other people that were within 20-50 yards away working. I would think they would go at anybody around at this point. Anyway the bees had mostly gone into the bucket when I left and I will head back at dark to pick up.

Any ideas why they might be so angry? hunger, noisy conditions (in a chemical plant on a scaffold board)

What now?

Do I dump them in a hive body and seal up for a day or two or just reduce the entrance?

I have two or three frames of comb but everthing else will be foundationless frames. I wanted to save the comb for a package I was getting in May. Should I use it now or just put frames in and let them build there own or does it even matter?

I suppose I need to feed also till they get going. I guess I treat this similar to a package of bees?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
If there was no comb, treat them just like package bees. They will draw comb much faster than package bees. You should not seal them up. If you are worried about your free bees leaving put an excluder over the bottom board. A lot of posts mention sealing the bees up. How much would you like your new home if you were locked in the closet the first three days. The girls need to get out to go to the bathroom, cool the hive, and go get groceries (nectar and pollen) for their new home. I had over a hundred dazzled students at the last workshop when I shook package bees into two hives and we left them unsealed for over an hour. They did not run from their new homes with no drawn comb or any smell of bees ever existing there previously. I wish someone had taken pictures but I told you they were amazed and people do not think of capturing the moment when their attention is already captured.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
If they have been there for more than a day or its cool or rainy they get a little testy.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Could be AHB.

Sweet smell..........did it smell like bananas? When I small bananas I know to smoke some more. I have had them attack me but it was after I tried to get them down from a high limb by grabbbing the limb further out and shaking it a few times and just a few bees falling off swarm. That's the only time I have ever used smoke on a swarm.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I've got the swarm in a five gallon bucket next to the hive body with three frames of comb in it and the rest foundationless frames and acouple of frames with foundation. Should I pour the bees into the hive and hope the queen does fly off or is there something special I need to do to prevent her from flying off? Reduce the entrance or not? Also is it a problem to do this in the dark? I would like to get them out of the bucket. The bucket does have hole with queen excluder over them so the queen wont leave but the bees can fly in and out.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Pull 3 of the frames out and dump them in. The queen will be in the mass of bees and will make it in just fine. Replace the 3 frames and close up. Put the queen excluder at the entrace. (I will find my pic and post it in a minute)

Reduce the entrace and feed'em

I like to do it night.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are in, finally! Those bees are angry. Hope fully a goodnight rest and some syrup will calm them down.

I reduced the entrance but I do not own a queen excluder:doh: so I cant put one at the entrance. I think I will invest in one for future swarms or when I decide I want to exclude the queen from the supers.

Thanks to all for the suggestions:applause:

I will let yall know how this works out:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Sure things will go good. Add some feed it encourages them to stay. The queen will start relaying in the next 7-10 days. I always give it 2 weeks. If they are still mean after that. Requeen while they are a still small colony.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts