Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was to late in doing a split and one of my hives swarmed yesterday as I was walking to it. I let them settle in bush, then caught them in a cardboard nuc box with three frames of old draw comb. It was get a little late in the day so I left them alone to settle down. Bees in front of the box with there tail stuck up buzzing. All the stray bees flying around the tree went into the nuc box. I want to move them into a five frame wood nuc with a queen excluder under it and another five frame wood nuc stacked on top this afternoon when I get off work. I don't have any 8 or 10 frame equipment to put them in at this time, all of it is in use. Any advise?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice catch! The two nuc boxes sounds like a good move. Feel free to give them undrawn frames to take advantage of the swarm's burst of comb building.

You should be o.k. for a couple weeks maybe more. If you can't free up a couple boxes for them to expand into, I would order some now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree give them undrawn frames this way you get fresh wax and it will slow them down a little. Swarms grow very fast you have bought yourself some time to get more equipment.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Do your best to stay ahead of them with equipment, frames, etc. And feed them to keep them building comb. Get them built up into two deeps, if that is your preferred configuration. Or get them into whatever your preferred configuration for winter is. And if this is fairly early in your season, you could get a surplus from them this year!
Good luck!
Steven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts