Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a second year beek that managed to recover our first swarm. This was a thrilling experience to say the least.

We re-hived the swarm in a new ten frame deep, which increased our hive count to four. For now, I am not looking to go much beyond this number of hives. So my concern is what do I do with the next swarm (if it happens, and I am able to capture it)?

What sort of methods are recommended for introducing the captured swarm back into an apiary, without adding any more hives?

·
Registered
939 Posts
You never know about neighbors wanting to get into BeeKeeping. I'm seeing more and more people getting into the hobby, like myself. Just make sure you're OK with the variety you got.

Eventually, the gene pool will be clouded, however, until then I'm going to try to keep it the same until I can't help the matter.

Or. Put an ad in the paper or craig's list for a complete bee hive installed at a set price. Kind of like Add-A-Beek to the neighborhood.

·
Registered
429 Posts
or if your other hives are getting crowded, pull brood from them and give to the swarm. you shouldn't have to worry about the parent colony, so you just have 2 to steal from and one to put it into.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you have too many hives going on then pick the two smallest and do the a 'newspaper combine' method. There are many posts about that - or ask if you need to know, but basicly you just pick two hives and combine them with a sheet of newspaper between them.

The bees will eat their way between the paper and in a few days will slowly become one hive. You can crush one queen, or let them figure it out. Generaly the stonger hive will win.

If you get a new swarm, my suggestion would be to put them into their own box first for a few days, then after they have establised themselfs in their new home - do the newspaper combine

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'm using the extra ones I caught this year, for making bees to start queen daughters from some of my better queens.
If I end up with too many nucs going I should be able to sell a few.
Also letting them draw out new plastic frames for me to use later. Put them to work for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts