Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from work tonight, I got a call. I was asked if I was a beekeeper and if I caught swarms.

He had found my name on the internet on the BeeSource Bee Removal list. I told him that I would be over in about an hour, I had to stop by my house to pick up some equipment.

When I was out in my apiary picking up some empty boxes, I passed by a cloud of bees where they shouldn't have been. I looked down at the source and found a swarm of my own (2-3000 bees) on a small spruce about 30 feet from my hives. I quickly grabbed a nuc box and bushed about half of them in and shook the rest off. I put on the lid and left it by the tree and ran off to the call.

When I got to the call there was good sized cluster on a lilac bush, maybe 5000 bees. They were all on one branch, luckily the homeowner had a large pair of pruners (mine were just too small to handle the 2 inch branch). I just shook them in the box. Let them settle in for about 1/2 hour, buttoned them up and brought them home. It went very smooth.

When I got home I found that the other swarm had all moved into the nuc. I covered the entrance and moved by my other hives where I already had the hive from the call set up. I set them both up with sugar syrup and done.

Man youtube and this forum are wonderful. I have never done this before, but I had seen it done so many times and heard about how other people have done it, it was just easy, I did not have to think about how to do it.

What fun. Thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went out to my apiary tonight to check on my new captures and found another swarm on the same spruce. I do mostly carnies and these look Italian.

The call that I went to last night looked Italian, so I am thinking that it came from them. When I talked to the guy last night, he said that there were two clusters, but I only found one. Is it possible that there were two queens and one just split? There are still bees in the box that I filled from the call. Not sure that I am missing any.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts