Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first swarm call of the year yesterday. A nice 5 pounder which swarmed from a bee tree. They are small and look just like the bees I got from a tree cut out a few years ago, which did extremely well for me.

April 30th .... I've never received a call that early in the season here. They usually don't start up until about mid May. Everything here seems to be a week or two ahead of normal. One of the mildest Aprils I can remember.

I love swarm season. :)

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Glad to see you back in da bees Mike

My bee bud has had 3 swarms already and our mentor has over 65 years in bees and he got one last week and he saud its the eairliest he ever got a swarm call, I am waiting for the phone to start ringing :waiting:

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed. It's great to be back at it. I have a feeling you're going to be very busy chasing swarms the next couple of weeks. I'm sure the phone will be ringing after the rain moves through the area.

What I enjoy the most about swarm calls is the opportunity to talk to people. For most of them it's a once in a lifetime experience and a good chance to help people understand a little about honeybee reproductive cycles and the current struggles the bees are having. Then before you know it, they're talking about their daughter who is going through Chemo ... their tour in the Navy ... etc, etc. That's the good stuff. :thumbsup:

It's the closest I'll ever get to being a hero .. riding in on a white horse to save the day. ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with Mike. Hiving a swarm is a blast but it is truly rewarding to talk with the people who are always so interested in the process. The opportunity to educate is great.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if they are my bees. Today,One of my hives swarmed -- Thank Goodness, I did a major split last week and took alot of those bees away.

I only wish that my job would allow me to collect Swarms. It has to be one of the greatest feelings.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have lost track of how many swarms I have picked up, or been called on, here. There were several cutouts, that I did not want any part of. Some of the one I picked up, were in swarm traps. I think it is about 14, or close to it. That is not counting the cutouts, or the ones that were too far.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have lost track of how many swarms I have picked up, or been called on, here. There were several cutouts, that I did not want any part of. Some of the one I picked up, were in swarm traps. I think it is about 14, or close to it. That is not counting the cutouts, or the ones that were too far.
Chick,

Since I'm new to this hobby but have jumped in with both feet, I wonder do you make new hives out of all 14 swarms or do you join swarms with other bees?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts