Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first 2 stings a couple of days ago. The girls were being persistent and got me through my clothes... one on my side and one on my leg. Hurt like hell but went away quickly, could barely tell where they got me. Then the next day they started itching like crazy and became welts. Now the leg one is almost gone but the side one is about the size of a quarter. Not really too concerned, but just wondering if this is what I have to look forward to for every sting or if it gets better? I’ve heard that you get sort of immune, but then I’ve also heard people say that the reactions can get worse and worse. Or is it possible I missed the stinger? Just want to hear some other people’s experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey,
I think it always hurts a little, :pinch:but don't be afraid of taking a few, it is actually good for you. I don't believe that it would be a good idea to get a lot at one time though. The itching is normal. I kinda think it gives a pretty cool rush. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Stings....My experience? Never the same, sometimes they are next to nothing after the initial 3 seconds of pain, sometimes they swell and sometimes they itch. Sometimes they swell and itch, sometimes they swell a lot and itch a little, sometimes they itch a lot and swell a little and every once in a while they swell and itch a lot!:D

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
There is some great info on this forum,,,,,suggest a search,,,,in the meantime,,,If they get continue to consistently get worse,,,,I would be concerned.

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah they do get better. Usually cant tell where I was stung after awhile. One thing funny,I dont use gloves and twice have been stung on my thumbs and they havent been able to get through my calluses. I work with my hands alot. But once the sting pheromone is released reinforcements come. Throw some smoke on the sting and they will leave you alone. Peace Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tooth past is the trick plus it gives you a nice cool feeling on a hot day in the bee yard.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My personal experience is that it bothers me less and less the more I get stung. I don`t go looking for it though... I`m careful and use smoke but hey! ... it`s part of beekeeping! I`ve come to a point where I don`t mind it much. Over the years you kind of develop a tolerance. They still hurt on contact but only for a few minutes, then rarely ever itch or swell any more. But they can hurt like the dickens when you get them in the face or the ears!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Got stung on the top of the ear once and it hurt so bad, I thought it was bleeding. Looked in the mirror and couldn't believe it wasn't bleeding. LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here's the thing...you can't go by the reactions of other people as stings reactions are a completely individual thing based on your personal immune system. You should monitor yourself and try to keep stings to a minimum until you fnd out if your reactions are getting worse or better. If your sting reactions become worse or become "generalized" (you react at places on your body other than the sting site), you need to see an allergist. An allergist can start you on a regime of desensitizing injections so you can continue to beekeep and not have dangerous reactions to stings. I know because I take a desensitizing shot every six weeks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am also a new bee haver this year. So far I have been stung once on the top of my wrist, which didn't penatrate the stinger, and the other week I got it right on the end of my middle finger. Was doing an inspection and accidently put my finger on top of her, that one penatrated. My reaction was being calm and just setting down the frame and pull the stinger. Hurt for about maybe 10 seconds, and went away. Next day had a blood blister on the end of my finger. Reactions like they say reactions are different due to your chemistry. I like pain, so a bee sting is like getting poked with a needle from the doctor. They do apriatherapy with the bee sting, good for many things like aurthritis, don't know how to spell and other elliments in the human body. The reactions might just get to the point where you don't feel or like bee draggle you might have to get a shot once in a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts