Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year beekeeping and my bees are all pretty calm, so until today I hadn't been stung. Well today after lunch I was at work in my office and when I shifted in my chair I suddenly had a burning pain on the back of my thigh. I pulled down my pants to see what was going on and a bee flew out of my pants. Yesterday after work I did go out to put a jar of syrup in one of the hives, so I am assuming a bee crawled up my pant leg then and hung out there until I sat on her today. Kind of a surprise, but it cured my Friday afternoon post lunch drowsiness pretty quickly. Any one else have an unusual story about getting stung?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any one else have an unusual story about getting stung?
Probably everyone has a story.

In March I drove down to Oliveras Bees to pick up my first nuc (still my only hive). They opened the nuc and pulled out a few frames so I could see what I was getting. The lid was replaced, we placed it in my trunk and off I went for the easy drive home.

At home I made sure everything was in place then went out for the nuc. Grabbing the box under the rim I was immediately stung on a knuckle. Apparently a bee had a leg or wing caught in the lid and it nailed me. So, stung before I got them out of the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is my first year as well and I’ve been stung numerous times that I can’t even count.
I think it’s the bees way of teaching us how to handle them.
I brought my nucs home at night and placed them by the hive. I opened the entrance on the cardboard nuc a little bit so the could fly around the next day and orientate.
As soon as I opened the entrance to the nuc I got stung on my hand. Bees just poured out.
So my beekeeping career started of with a sting my first minute.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got a bee in my veil once and stung me right in the eyelid, only a few millimeters away from my actual eye ball. It was my fault of course. I was wearing a cheap veil that had holes in it and I had neglected to repair them. Always keep your equipment in good condition!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
My first year I usually worked the hives in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. I did use smoke and was very slow and careful. My first sting that year... was from a wasp! I couldn't believe it.

Later that year I dropped a frame on my bare foot and got several stings. So after that I started wearing shoes.

Another time I had a peak in a hive at night with a headlamp and immediately got a sting. So after that I only opened the hives when the sun was out.

So on and so forth...

Many stings later, I often wear a veil or even a full suit, depending on the situation. I guess you have to push the boundaries to find out where they are. I mean, technically I guess I could've just noticed that other beekeepers don't usually wear flip-flops, or for that matter headlamps, but eh, I guess I'm not the fastest learner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep everyone has a story or 10.
Was heading up to the shops for some milk on my motor bike wearing a pair shorts.
I think that’s enough information....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sure getting stung this year. I bought Carniolan bees this year and they are aggressive. They stung me through my gloves 7 times during one inspection this year. I usually never get stung through my leather beekeeping gloves. I used to wear a long sleeve shirt and a mesh over my hat to keep the bees off my face and I would never get stung. But not this year. This year I'm wearing a full bee suit and still get stung. Last year I had Italian bees and they seemed much mellower. These Carniolan bees are different but I'm hanging on to them because they seem to be really productive and are building like mad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Second year keeping bees. I open the hive regularly for inspections and have never been stung. I wear a suit probably less than half the time. One day I was just standing by my hive about 10-15 feet away and a bee decided to sting me on my neck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Third or fourth year keeping bees, 3 weeks after returning from the ER due to systemic reaction from a bee sting, I decided to put my suit on while standing in the bee yard. I zipped a bee inside by sleeve and she got me. No reaction this time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Third or fourth year keeping bees, 3 weeks after returning from the ER due to systemic reaction from a bee sting, I decided to put my suit on while standing in the bee yard. I zipped a bee inside by sleeve and she got me. No reaction this time.
Yikes. Be careful. Advise talking with an allergy doc if you have access to one.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Kork and I were remembering a stinging incident just the other day. Happened back in the 80s, in the Lucas yard in Perry Mills, New York. We were reversing hives at dandelion bloom...beautiful weather, good flow on, bees in a pleasant mood. We had two trucks in the yard, sideboards and equipment spread out on the ground. We were both in tee shirts, no veils.

The yard was almost finished, when the first colony reversed, fell over. As it hit the ground, the boxes separated and the frames fanned out, spilling the colony’s guts out across the grass. Instantly, a cloud of angry bees erupted from that hive. Did you ever ride a motorcycle? Have a stone fall off a truck up ahead of you? As you and the stone approach each other, the stone seems to travel in slow motion...until it hits you. Then it's going full speed...wham!

Well, those bees erupted out of that hive in slow motion in, a cloud that engulfed both of us. I never had a chance to take a step in any direction. They were on me like...every inch had a stinging bee. I tried to wipe them off, and they were back two fold. We looked at each other...did you ever see horse eyes when they're freaked out. Well, Kork had horse eyes. I ran for one truck, and Kork the other. Bees filled the cab of my truck, stinging everything...in my nose, in my ears, on my face and arms; even stinging the truck.

We met down the road in a turn off and pulled stingers. I could certainly never forget how my whole body buzzed...beyond pain. Eventually, I was able to drive the hour to home, but couldn't touch anything...lean back in the seat, or put my elbow on the window opening: Just my hands on the steering wheel.

We laugh about it now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm sure getting stung this year. I bought Carniolan bees this year and they are aggressive. They stung me through my gloves 7 times during one inspection this year. I usually never get stung through my leather beekeeping gloves. I used to wear a long sleeve shirt and a mesh over my hat to keep the bees off my face and I would never get stung. But not this year. This year I'm wearing a full bee suit and still get stung. Last year I had Italian bees and they seemed much mellower. These Carniolan bees are different but I'm hanging on to them because they seem to be really productive and are building like mad.
I was only stung about a half dozen times in the last year and a half after buying my first two colonies. I bought 4 Carniolan colonies in July and have since been stung several dozen times. I had to transfer frames from the sellers boxes into mine upon pick up and when I finished the first box and went to shake the rest of the bees out, they clustered on my hands and lit me up through my gloves. I had chosen to wear a lighter pair that day but had to switch back to thick bulky ones for the rest of the transfer. I couldn't make a fist with my left hand for nearly 4 days. A couple of weeks later after having them home I went to remove an upper deep from one hive and they immediately hit my ankles where I had tucked my pants into my socks and both swelled and remained swollen for a few days. I don't know how many times I was stung between those two incidents and although they've settled down to where I can now work them gloveless, I'm still getting stung occasionally.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nothing to do with beekeeping, and I don't remember what it was that stung me, but years ago riding my motorcycle I saw this thing flying around inside my helmet and recognized it as a stinging variety. Before I got the visor open I got stung under my eye. I stopped at Subway for a sandwich and the lady told me I should probably go to the hospital I was so swelled up.

That reminds me, the other day in New Hampshire on a side by side I got whacked in the forehead really hard at around 40 mph. Thought it was a rock at first until the stinging got worse and the swelling started (luckily not a lot). I'm assuming a wasp or hornet as there was no stinger attached, but boy a stinger whacking you at 40 mph hurts.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Feeling a bee crawl up your pant leg, knowing the inevitable. Then it finally gets you, but is still crawling around. But you're not sure if it's the same one or another ready to get you, so now you're even more paranoid.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
MP, that sounds like a recurring nightmare I have. Must have been a real life nightmare. What did you and Kork do for treatment?

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
A local Priest wanted to have a colony or two so we met in Town, at the Blue BEE ! Cafe, talking about bee’s, seeing bee stuff around the place, when I felt something tickling me; I would scratch a little, pull at my shirt a little, finally I couldn’t stand it and flapped my shirt and a bee flew out in the cafe; I think you can imagine the hubbub with that. Um I didn’t get stung though; that’s a different story of ripping clothes off and running....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts