Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck my head too close to the entrance to see what they were bringing back. Took one right on my eye!!! Right below my eyelash on my lower eyelid, next to my nose. Did I say OUCH :doh:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I bet that hurt! Got my first 2 of the year today. One on the top and one on the bottom of the wrist. It's pretty swole up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not much to see in a picture. Just a nice bag under my eye. I'm hoping it's gone by time I have to go into work tomorrow. I keep bragging on how gentle my bees are.

I couldn't even put anything on it because of how close it is to my eyeball . . .

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
:lpf: I'm a minister, and my first week of keeping bees 20 some years ago I got nailed near the eye.. swelled my eye shut, late on a Saturday... explain that to the congregation the next day - Easter Sunday morning!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I feel your pain :cry:

So why is it you can separate frames with no gloves while the bees fly out of the hive and bounce off you face screen?:s

Try typing with swollen numb fingertips sometime. 16 years and no - you dont' get used to it, but you get better at avoiding it!

I'm a firm believer of therapeutic bee stinging and been doing it for shoulder joint issues for many years. Just an occational sting where ever the pain is and it goes away over time. Then last year I stung my shoulder two or three stings and had an alergic reaction! Red body, itch everywhere, hives, racing heartbeat, but luckily no breathing issue.Two weeks later it happened again! Two weeks later... no problem, just the usual swell/itch/numb. Doctors clueless answer was that people develope allergies over time. Wrong answer - get me an epipen carry on! Oh I added iodine and multi vitamin tabs to boost my immune system over those two weeks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just a little closer and you might be seeing nothing but black in that eye.

·
Registered
255 Posts
:lpf: I'm a minister, and my first week of keeping bees 20 some years ago I got nailed near the eye.. swelled my eye shut, late on a Saturday... explain that to the congregation the next day - Easter Sunday morning!
Last year i was out looking in the hive, just took a peek and wham one of the girls nailed me right in between the eyes where the bridge of my nose ends in the forehead. Both eyes swelled shut for two days. :|

LOL

I do have a epipen in case i ever have a bad reaction but so far nothing.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Got hit 3 times Thur of last week when I opened a hive and decided not to use smoke. Had my suit/veil on too! Caught several to the throat. I know there was a least one or two more. But I kept slapping myself all around my head and neck till there wasn't any more buzzin around my ears.

Now you know, this isn't th first time that has happened. You would think that I would remember to make sure the velcro at the top of the suit where the zipper stops would be stuck in place.

But nooooooooooooo.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Steven, did you tell them you were in a bar fight? :D
LOLOL no, but my first church was a small rural town in Kansas... had two hives in the back yard. the custodian, a man about my same age in 1974 lived next door. He went to a particular bar, they got an air hockey table... I loved to play air hockey. Had a hard time explaining my 7-Up while playing air hockey with the church custodian in one of the two bars in town. :lpf: ah, life is so good!

Back to stings, got nailed 4 times Thursday... on the hands...
Regards,
Steven

1 - 17 of 17 Posts