Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have never done this before but I have read some things about it. From what I understand it works like little by little with patience eventually the hive expands and then the queen will go in there. Is that right? I will follow this and I hope it works. I wish you luck!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
virginia,

This is my first attempt. That is the general idea. I am running with Cleo Hogan's design. I am making some modifications of my own to his design. I think the logic is there for this to work. I hope to get the queen. I will post pics and updates as it progresses.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I may be wrong but there appears to be gaps at the top of your tunnel, that thing needs to be air tight, they WILL try to find the old way in. Every single time you connect a new piece make it so. Painters caulk works extremely well, non toxic and it cuts away fairly easy when you take it all down. ;) Or just staple screen at every crevice.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
djei5,

I could not get it to seal totally, but I did watch them for quite some time and it did not appear they could get through. I may put some caulk around the edge.

·
Registered
338 Posts
djei5,

I could not get it to seal totally, but I did watch them for quite some time and it did not appear they could get through. I may put some caulk around the edge.
Caulk it, they will chew a small crack bigger and you will have totally wasted every single day, believe me, been there.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was not going to install the trap funnel till they have built out comb in the hive. This seems to be a big colony. I was worried I may need to take them in a couple of trips.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Then they may never build out comb. You have no idea how much room they have to build where they are now. Do you have drawn comb or foundation? Their hive is in the house, you have to force the issue of your hive. A bee bringing pollen or nectar to brood or storage isn't going to stop in your hive, it is going where it always has gone. Trap funnel goes in the day you set the trap.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Caulk it, they will chew a small crack bigger and you will have totally wasted every single day, believe me, been there.
You are correct djei5. They found a couple of ways around plus another entrance a foot down the wall. I caulked all today. When I left they were all using the entrance I put in. I will check in a couple of days to see if any others exist.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you used painters latex caulk, they will chew it up and spit it out. I'm finishing a trap-out now and didn't know this to begin with. I changed to silicone caulk and it seemed to keep them in. I wish someone had posted that before I started my trap-out and it would have saved me a lot of time patching holes. Good luck. It just takes time and patience.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you used painters latex caulk, they will chew it up and spit it out. I'm finishing a trap-out now and didn't know this to begin with. I changed to silicone caulk and it seemed to keep them in. I wish someone had posted that before I started my trap-out and it would have saved me a lot of time patching holes. Good luck. It just takes time and patience.
I did use silicone. The house is brown wood and I needed it to match so I had to. Sounds like a good call.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My version of the Hogan trap. I didn't like the idea of cutting holes in a good hive box so I made an insert to fit between the bottom board and the box. I realize I may have to deal with crazy comb.

master-1-1.jpg master-2-2.jpg master-3-3.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts