Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have one hive that is two deeps, with a super, I am going to split it the first of may when my queen arrives. Question, should I do an even split, and put a super on both deeps, or should I make a nuc up with the queen and let the other hive stay 2 deep? I dont know, just want to grow my hive count.:scratch:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would say it really depends on how much brood and stores you have available for the splits and how many bees to cover the brood. If you think heating the brood could be an issue, use a nuc ...If the bees have too much space they wont do as well.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Agree with 22DPac, it depends on your hive. If you have a very full double deep, an even split is the way to go. If not, pulling out a nucs worth is the better option. And an even split is not just splitting the two deeps up, you need to share the frames so that each hive ends up with about the same amount of resources.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It depends a little bit on goals too. If you want a large honey crop; leaving one hive strong and splitting off a nuc may be the way to go. If you are more interested in upping the hive count an even split is better for the reasons stated in the previous posts.

I did an even split last weekend. I'm just a little north of you. Our main flow is usually in June, although things are going pretty strong right now (ignoring the cold today). So, I'm hoping my two smaller hives build back up during May and still produce honey in the June flow. You'll be about two weeks behind that schedule.

Also, make sure you split the hives the day before you plan to introduce the queen (so, April 30 for you). Michael Bush recommended that its beneficial to hive the receiving hive queenless at least over night. I did that and the next day one hive was very noisy and the other was quiet and calm. That made it easy to determine who had no queen. I did a search on the other hive just to verify the queen was there and she was.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. As stated, i am more after growing my hive count than a honey crop. Thanks for the suggestion about the difference in the attitude of the hives after being queenless for a day. Never thought of that. Thanks again for yalls input. G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts