Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first split of the year it's alittle early but one of my DBL. deeps was superseduring and had 9 QCs and a lot of capped brood and the hive has a lot of bee's. so I figured why not plus I put the split on top the mother hive just to see how it go's.
One thing I learned about beekeeping is if you want to know if some thing works just try it and your bees will let you know if you made a mistake or not.I did turn the nuc so it was facing the other direction.
and reduced the entrance to bee with .
guess I'll see how it works out.;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've sold two nuc and need to get them pulled. I wanted to wait to blackberry bloom. Their budding up pretty big so I expect them to bloom soon.
Had two hives supersede already so evidently the bees think its late enough. I like to think they know more about their business than I do.
Woody Roberts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glock, I did something similar with a top bar hive that had tons of cups/cells with eggs brood started last Sunday here in East Berlin Pa. I didn't notice any drones walking around and just one small patch of capped drone brood. Did you see drones yet?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glock,

Does turning the split so that the opening is facing the opposite direction work OK? I don't have many options for moving my hive over 2 miles away, and your method is easy...

Does your Nuc contain the queen from the Hive?

I'm planning my first split to occur this weekend and am trying to be prepared.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
309 Posts
I too am getting close to split time, probably first day this weekend or next week that the weather is good. The clock is ticking and I need to get on with making some decisions :) One of which is moving the splits once I make them for a couple days and then bringing them back. Will be interesting to see how this works.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glock, I did something similar with a top bar hive that had tons of cups/cells with eggs brood started last Sunday here in East Berlin Pa. I didn't notice any drones walking around and just one small patch of capped drone brood. Did you see drones yet?
Yes I have drones I have been open feeding for 3 weeks .I just stopped feeding 2 days ago. So that may be why . We just started getting pollen coming in 10 days ago and the flow is just starting to start up.
MATT=Does turning the split so that the opening is facing the opposite direction work OK? I don't have many options for moving my hive over 2 miles away, and your method is easy...

Does your Nuc contain the queen from the Hive?
It's the first time I have tried it so we will see they are ok so far .I have had nucs with in 150 yards from my main yard so ya don't need to move your nucs 2 miles. And no I had no queen in the hive or the nuc just QCs .
I looked for the queen but she was not there and no open brood or eggs and I have no problems finding queens so I think they snuffed her out. But there is drones It's early but the hive is booming I plan on making nucs right be for peak flow should be a good year .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts