Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hived 2 packages on 6/12, did a short inspection , found both hives had consumed all the syrup in the feeders
hive #1 has been building comb pretty fast they had several bars ( I only lifted a 4 of the 9 bars and all had combs the size of a hand palm or larger)
hive #2 has at least 1 hand size comb I found by lifting up 4-5 bars by the corner but they were festooning on all the bars I lifted.
I refilled the syrup jars and decided to check them this morning and Hive 1 has consumed about 20 oz. and Hive 2 has consumed about 6 oz overnight.
time to make some more syrup !
I really was suprised that they had built that much comb in 4 days especially the amount in hive #1 but it does seem to have more bees due to drifting than hive #2

My niece has some pictures and I'll post them as soon as she emails them to me.

So far the bees seem to be settling in and let me inspect with out to much fuss , I did use a smoker, I wanted to try using cedar shavings as fuel but the pet store doesnt seem to carry them anymore
so I used the aspen shavings instead.
The smoke from them was a lot less pungent and acrid than when I played with the smoker using rolled up cardboard as fuel

·
Registered
635 Posts
After a year of trying sticks, sawdust, shavings, "smoker fuel" sumac berries, burlap, pine straw, wheat straw, cardboard....and any other darn thing i have seen posted here, i have found that the easiest thing to do is light a handfull of wood stove pellets with a propane torch, then jam some old blue jeen scraps (cotton) in there. Lots of smoke and the darn thing almost never goes out unless purposefully neglected. there are about 20 "best things to use in a smoker" but the jeans scraps work well for me. they make terrible shop rags so they used to just get thrown out anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like using lawnmower patties from the bottom of the lawnmower. Let them dry for about 3 days or more and they are ready to use. I'll get them started with paper or dry grass stalks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts