Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was out in the yard and checked in on a split I made a while back. Been keeping an eye on them to make sure their queen was up to par. This is my first queen of the season that the girls have created for me. She mated up a couple weeks back and has completely gone wild in her NUC. Here's a couple pics of her and her brood pattern so far. Pretty good i must say..

Queen.jpg

Queen2.jpg

Her DOB from egg is April 27 2014.. lol.. First layed eggs on May 23 2014..

·
Registered
317 Posts
nice I made a few spits in early May and one of them had a virgin queen last week, wish I would have gotten a few pics of her..

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice indeed... Did you look at her left back leg.... Made you look

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Is she a Cordovan or Italian queen?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although she has got mostly the coloration of a cordovan, she's of straight up Italian stock. It's my understanding that the Cordovan coloration can come out in any breed, but when I think of the cordovan queens I tend to look at CF Koehnen & Sons pic to make sure. lol.. Here's a link to the pic I look at .. http://www.koehnen.com/#!queens/c215j

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Great feeling when the queen goes "wild". I put a swarm box up at my brother's property, and got a swarm to come in (about a month ago). Within 10 days that queen had gone "wild", with capped and uncapped brood filling the better part of 2 frames (both sides). :)

Phil

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
She looks great!! Heres 3 of my open mated queens from this year. My first try letting them raise their own. 4 out of 5 and havent given up quite yet on the fifth. Feels great to succeed once in a while. :popcorn:
Copy of DSC04503.jpg
Copy of DSC04589.jpg
Copy of DSC04582.jpg

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You notice the egg being "laid" in the photo? There is an egg that she just released. Obviously she is a laying machine. Spraying them eggs all over the hive. Who needs a cell to lay an egg in>?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Although she has got mostly the coloration of a cordovan, she's of straight up Italian stock. It's my understanding that the Cordovan coloration can come out in any breed, but when I think of the cordovan queens I tend to look at CF Koehnen & Sons pic to make sure. lol.. Here's a link to the pic I look at .. http://www.koehnen.com/#!queens/c215j
How are the "rooskies" doin? Did you get to capitalize on any of those SC cells?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, when i did the splits to start the russians i ended up with a few Emergency cells being made. lol.. Got them in small mating nuc's now just waiting for them to start laying. Years ago i wouldn't have ever though playing with bees would be so fun.. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Isn't it nice to be able to enjoy it? I may have to try some of the Russians, just for something new & challenging.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only thing that is challenging about them is the fact that they like to make queen cups and cells all the time even though they don't need them.. lol.. Otherwise they are mostly the same as italians and you just have to give them more room quicker to keep them busy.. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts