Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting our first taste of spring in SW PA, today it has reached 72 degees. It has been an extremely tough winter on my bees. We went into winter with some weak hives and low on stores. To date, I've lost about 60% of my colonies. With the mild weather, and the 14 day forcast for mostly 50 degree or better temps, Monday I started feeding 1:1 with fumigillin plus some pollen patties. Today, I was refilling some division board feeders and noticed a little fresh pollen coming in, bright orange and pale yellow. My girls are really enjoying the warm weather and sun. Hopefully the worst of winter is past and spring is around the corner.
Al

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good to hear! Same with my hives. Saw pale yellow and bright orange pollen coming in today. My two first years hive I started last year both made it through winter. The one is deffinetly stronger than the other...but with this warm weather....and I feel weather that is going to continue...I think they will be fine.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am in central ohio. It wasnt as bad of a winer here but they girls are bringing in pollen. Last time I fed them dry sugar I didnt put the lid on correctly. The girls decided they wanted a top entrance. I dont really mind if thats what they like. There might be to many dead bees in the bottom.

I got to see undertaker bees for the first time.This will be second year so the bees just died somewhere else. I mean to get in there today and clear things out, plus make things level. My hive is on a BAD tilt. I have gravel and two new cinder blocks that level. Those are ready for them when I get a good day to move them over and clean the BB.

I wonder if they will start using the bottom if I clear it out?

I just know I am happy they are in he air bringing pollen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm over here in Ohio. This is my first year beekeeping. Both my hives made it through the winter HUZZAH. I went out to give them some syrup today and noticed the ladies bringing in pollen. Any idea what is blooming now? My maple isn't yet and it's usually one of my first signs of real spring. :scratch: I even checked for pollen counts on line nada.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine are getting pollen I believe from Crocuses that are blooming and I think Ornamental Apples down the road. Not sure but it is the only tree on the Mt. blooming right now. Sugar Maples will be next. I think it is still to cold here yet to feed syrup...but I might be wrong. It is averaging right now in the 50's which I know is fine..but there is possibilities for 40s and high 30s especially at night.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
My bees here in southeast Michigan have been bringing in increasing amounts of pollen over the last three days. Today it looked like a honeyflow the way they were coming and going all day. The vast majority of pollen was grayish white, with a little less orange, and very little yellow. I don't see any trees blooming yet, just fat buds, but evidently the bees can see better than I.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My bees have been bringing in pollen all week now, but crocuses just started blooming the last two days now, and the bees seem to be ignoring them. Not sure where they are getting their pollen, I've seen a couple of weeds blooming, but no bees working them either. Oh well, I'm just glad winter is over, and all my girls made it through the winter ok.

It might be a little early, but next week, I plan to split them... IF the forecast for the next 10 days looks good that is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BeeTeach,
My address is Monongahela, but I am located on one of the highest hills in Forward Township. If it floods up here, we better build an ark. Where are you located? Are you close to Moncity?

As for the pollen; I did notice an early maple in bloom yesterday. The orange pollen is probably crocus blooming somewhere in the area.

Think Spring,
Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts