Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in south central Connecticut shoreline area. Today was the first day since late December that my bees could fly around without being chilled. Temps in 50s, not much wind, and sunshine all day long. A lot of activity at the entrances, it was so good to see them again. Some pollen was brought to the hive as well. Pollen was in dark orange color, and had a "greasy" look. Surprisingly, last year I've noticed first pollen on exactly the same date!
What could be the possible source of pollen so early in season?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I live in Lebanon, CT and I too saw bees with some pollen in their baskets. Not sure what it is, but I do know skunk cabbage is one of their first sources of pollen. I have also read that bees collect different powders- coffee grounds, sawdust- when nothing else is available. Maybe even birdseed dust from the neighbor's feeder.

I had two for two make it this far. Can't wait 'til the maples blossom!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are there any farms around where someone might be feeding livestock. I have seen them in the cow feeder going after the tiny particles of I guess corn flour, molasses, or whatever is in the cow feed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No farms, it's all a suburban area. A lot of saltwater marshes with tons of vegetation, some willows have buds and nothing else. It's still winter in the north east, we had several winter storms as recent as last week. Even yesterday the ground was frozen solid in the morning. But the bees were bringing pollen, by the afternoon I think two different colors of pollen were coming in.
Together with my wife, we just sat there in the backyard watching cloud of bees doing spring orientation. I missed that all winter long. The forecast for today is 50's and up to 60 tomorrow - more pollen will be coming in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Infofly -

Bees frequent bird feeders. Many folks feed black oil sunflower seeds in those feeders. Any chance you're seeing that seed dust?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
My bees over in Westchester County were all over the first crocus...

We have crocus blooming in our yard in Greenwich.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I live in south central Connecticut shoreline area. Today was the first day since late December that my bees could fly around without being chilled. Temps in 50s, not much wind, and sunshine all day long. A lot of activity at the entrances, it was so good to see them again. Some pollen was brought to the hive as well. Pollen was in dark orange color, and had a "greasy" look. Surprisingly, last year I've noticed first pollen on exactly the same date!
What could be the possible source of pollen so early in season?
I just checked your area and the predominate pollen right now is Juniper. Do you have cider or juniper trees in your area? Also elm is in pollen production right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just looked at my hives here in Windsor (about 40 miles north of you.) The bees are bringing in bright orange and light yellow pollen. I was surprised to see pollen so early. I didn't see anything in bloom looking from my yard. So I took a bike ride around the neighborhood and didn't see anything blooming. I will take a look for some juniper and witch hazel the next time out.

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine too have been bringing in bucket loads of pollen, never would have thought it this early, we had a long snowy winter this year and not much sun til the last couple of days.

On a side note I lost one of my hives, strange the one I was worried about (local bees from a club member) are the ones that survived. They were light on food going in, and my strong hive that starved out was in my opinion in uch better shape for the winter, but didnt make it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, it is good to see the bees bringing in pollen. Mine are bringing in a light green colored pollen. Maybe its from Willows or Alders. I can never find out were they are getting it from. I don't even know if Skunk Cabbage is in bloom yet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pollen comming in here in the Ft Worth area of Texas. Looks like dandelion yellow,and some off white and some bright orange, don't know what flowers thouse could bee..

·
Registered
706 Posts
my bees right around second to last week in feb. Cascara pollen and nectar flow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two different colors of pollen were coming in today. The same wet looking greasy orange, and bright yellow/green. I don't think it's from the bird feeder, the stuff looks like real pollen. I can never figure out where they get it from so early in the spring. There are juniper trees in the area, not sure about elms or cedars. Maybe they found crocuses is somebody's garden, it's hard to tell. But I am happy to see them active and working. So far both hives look OK after the winter.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts