Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i think she was not from that hive. you noticed how she shared a bit of her honey with one of the other bees.
Yes...initially I thought they were doing that feeding thing but then noticed they wouldn't let her in.

keep observing them like that, you will learn a lot about their behaviour.
Thanks, we do sit and watch them quite a bit, and take pictures and videos of interesting things. I'm so thankful I have this forum where I can post those for comment. Thanks so much for your helpful input!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is almost turning into "video of the day" but we're so excited about our bees and we're learning so much from them that we can't help but take videos and share.

If I'm not mistaken, most of these bees are on "orientation flights"? IIRC, bees spend about three weeks in the hive and then go foraging and when they leave the hive, they need to orient themselves to the outside of the hive so they can get home again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your are bold to start with seven packages and never having done it before. I started with one and another arrives Thursday or Friday. You are way ahead of me. You surely have my support.

I'm a glass is half FULL kinda of guy. You have a hive already waiting for a split next year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
They usually fly out after 7 days on their first flight. Called orientation flight.

This is almost turning into "video of the day" but we're so excited about our bees and we're learning so much from them that we can't help but take videos and share.

If I'm not mistaken, most of these bees are on "orientation flights"? IIRC, bees spend about three weeks in the hive and then go foraging and when they leave the hive, they need to orient themselves to the outside of the hive so they can get home again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was out at the bee yard this afternoon and I decided to take a closer look at one of the hives. Since I'm a rookie, I'm not sure what I was looking at but, it seemed like there was some capped honey but no brood...perhaps I'm wrong. I looked a little but didn't spot the queen. The weather was cool and breezy so I didn't want to linger. Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures, only these.

IMG_20150529_155547.jpg

This is just a funny pic of the girls all staring up at me.

IMG_20150529_155727.jpg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts