Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed our first package..Deep 10 frame broodbox, based on our beekeepingclass inner cover, and a plastic feeder on top of the inner cover...Lots of traffic, bees coming and going, dead bees being carried out from tha package install, but not a single bee in the feeder...Suggestions..?

·
Registered
298 Posts
It might take a few days for them to work the feeder, or if there is good nector in the area - they may not take the feed at all. If there is a good nector flow, then the bees generaly take the natural stuff and leave the feed alone.

Three of my 7 hives this year did not take any feed for some reason this year, but they are working and growing. Often I have found that my bees don't read the same books I do, and do what they want on their own.

Other things to attact them to the feed, is adding some essentiol oils. They sell that honey bee healty, or you can just add a few drops per gal of peppermint oil or lemongrass oil. I assume you are feeding 1:1 or 2:1 sugar to water mix.

Also generaly when using a top feeder, you may not want to put the inner cover on. I use the top feeders from Mann Lake and the tell me not to use the inner cover.

good luck, and welcome to being a beek!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Patience?

Assuming you installed today, let them sit over night. Tomorrow, if there are still very few bees visiting the feeder, crack the inner cover and make sure the bees are centered in the brood box. Sometimes they all move to one side if it's been heated by the sun and then have trouble finding the feeder.

If they're all working way off to the side, gently slide out a few frames from the other side and shift the frames they are on back to the middle. Then they should have no trouble finding the feeder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts