Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hived my new package of bees about 2 hours ago. A couple days ago I met a beekeeper completely on a fluke and he offered to come over and help with the install. He mainly guided me along verbally. I'm happy considering the bees are settled in their new home and didn't take off. Things didn't EXACTLY go like I was hoping. I watched that U of M video over and over and over and I thought it would be perfect just like that but we had trouble getting the sugar feeder can out of the box. It was in kind of deep and it took some poking and prodding and my guide took over and finally got it out. The bees were anxious and tons were flying all over my body and around my head. I was shocked to find that I wasn't nervous at all. I was so focussed on following all the steps that I didn't worry about being stung.

It was funny to see the neighbors come out to watch using binoculars. LOL!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I know, my girl wanted to take picture of my installation a couple of weeks ago. She had to use the tele-photo feature to take pictures from across the yard!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good for you, that is awesome! Our photographer was my 13 year old son. He ran for the house after the first package of bees started flying everywhere, so no pictures for us. Maybe next time, lol!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Soap Pixie - did you take Marla and Gary's course this year? I was there too, and hived my package on the 10th. I was worried because I plugged the entrance with some grass as recommended, and the little buggers pulled the grass out in about 20 minutes. I was afraid they were going to abscond. They are doing great so far, though, and I saw some beautiful larvae on Wednesday night. Let me know how it goes...

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
The binoculars cracked me up. I'd have loved to see that. Feeding cans often get stuck. The bees glue them up pretty good sometimes. Nice to hear it went well. Hiving a package is a wonderful experience and, for me, was the very first time that I felt connected to them. I've never stopped feeling that way and working with bees is something I'm forever grateful for having an opportunity to do. Good for you!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soap Pixie - did you take Marla and Gary's course this year? I was there too, and hived my package on the 10th. I was worried because I plugged the entrance with some grass as recommended, and the little buggers pulled the grass out in about 20 minutes. I was afraid they were going to abscond. They are doing great so far, though, and I saw some beautiful larvae on Wednesday night. Let me know how it goes...
Yup, I was there too :) I plugged the entrance with grass but then the mentor said because a large amount of bees were flying around outside I had to remove the grass and the cork from the larger hole, so I did, and all of sudden all the bees filed inside one by one (I wouldn't have known to do that if the mentor hadn't been there). Then he had me replug everything at dusk last night. I checked this morning and the grass is still there, I hope that is a good sign :s

My hubby video taped the experience, I'd post it but I think people would get bored. It was a long video and it felt like 10 minutes just trying to get the feeder can out. LOL! My older daughter stood on the upper deck of our home taking pix, I'll post them but I was standing in a position where she's at my back and she's also far away so they aren't the best. At one point the swirl of bees got so big dad instructed the girls to get inside the house so the pictures were minimal.

I'm going out later today to remove the grass plug and see if they are eating the syrup and pollen patty. I had bad luck with the bucket feeders. Mine kept leaking no matter which bucket I tried so I just used a massive canning jar ~ I hope that works :s

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The binoculars cracked me up. I'd have loved to see that. Feeding cans often get stuck. The bees glue them up pretty good sometimes. Nice to hear it went well. Hiving a package is a wonderful experience and, for me, was the very first time that I felt connected to them. I've never stopped feeling that way and working with bees is something I'm forever grateful for having an opportunity to do. Good for you!
Excellent way to describe it. I had trouble putting it into words but that is how I felt when hiving them. All of sudden it wasn't me against the bees it was us working together. It felt really nice and all I wanted to do was make sure I took care of them. I bumped one and it fell on the ground and I felt horrible. I think my hubby even recorded that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts