Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 year beeks here in Hudson Valley NY (about 1.5 hours north of NYC)

I just had to share... I am watching some pretty good traffic right now on my bee CAM . It is 54 degrees there with some sun and they look pretty happy!

We did have two colonies going into late fall, but other hive had suicide swarm. Queen-less, they actually lasted until mid February. We were sad but did not expect them to survive as numbers were way too low and way too late to requeen.

Surviving hive was not strong but it looks like they made it! We were only able to peek in a few times during winter and gave fondant as needed.

We are new and learning so much. Really enjoying the bees. My thanks to this community as we have found much help here.

I will get some more sugar on them tomorrow!
We will rebuild the dead-out and I have prepped for a third colony for next month as well.

Very excited!
Best of luck to you all as well

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Get ready for swarm season. My second year was a surprise with every hive swarming at least once. Make sure you have enough woodware to head off the swarms.

·
Registered
495 Posts
that's great! This is a perfect time to treat for mites. Apivar strips in the hive now will be done by the time honey season arrives. I know a couple of beeks around here who do that and it gives them very low mite load over summer and great overwintering survival. I use OAV for the same result. You could also do the oxalic acid dribble, as long as they are feeding OK...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts