Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went ahead and made my first nuc. used a waxed cardboard nuc and closed the entrance to bring home where i can keep a better eye on them.
should i leave the entrance closed tonight? will they have enough ventilation from the vent holes?
thought about opening it tomorrow in the am before i leave for work. don't know if this is the right thing to do or not. this is the first time i've ever tried this. oh well, right or wrong i should learn something from this experience. i put two frames of honey the rest brood eggs and pollen. this came from the same mother hive. do i still need to feed? any help would be grateful.
thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
you can open the entrance tonight or in the morning, i would do it tonight the bees will not leave the brood. With two frames of honey I would not feed, as the capped brood hatches they will backfill the empty cells with the syrup and there is nothing to draw (foundation) at this point. They will start foraging for pollen/nectar as they see fit. I assume you are letting them make their own queen? Check on them in a few days (carefully) to see if they have started queen cells.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i have a new queen i hope to intro tomorrow afternoon.
thanks

i read and read and think i have it down, but when it comes time to try i get a little nervous so i've been asking a lot of ? today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts