Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience working with wood. I decided to learn and I figured a nuc box would be the first thing I would attempt to build. Last night at a local auction I was able to buy a router, hand held power planer, and I bought a table saw at lowes.

I also bought a old shelf that looked pretty rough for $2.00.

I took it apart and built this. There is enough material left over to maybe build two more. Five frames fit perfectly. I followed the plans on this website.

Tell me what I can improve on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
looks good! I cut a small rectangle out of the bottom of mine. (4in x 6in) and staple some screen over it just to give them a little ventilation. I don't think its completely necessary but, I normally move my nucs to another yard so they might sit in the shade closed up while I'm making up other nucs and then they are loaded on the truck. It can be very hot here sometimes so the extra ventilation makes me feel better. If you never need to close up yours I would not bother. Just a thought.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be setting this one up as a swarm trap. Not sure if it will work. I do not have any pulled wax. Will just be some foundation and some lgo.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
We made our first nuc boxes yesterday. Four from a piece of ply...easy afternoon project. Now I really have to dig up the courage to do splits...and my daughter is keen to graft!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Always keep some scraps very close by when using the table saw to use as push sticks; they are cheaper than fingers.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Some time ago I saw a post about a table saw gadget that stops the saw blade so it won't cut flesh. I thought is was an add on. My daughter thinks you have to buy a special saw.
Those who woodwork can let us know what the mechanism is. Thanks.

Found it...SawStop...seems you need to purchase a specific saw plus special blades and devices for regular and dado cuts. Will have to check both price and availability in Canada:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am very careful around the saw. I bet more cautious than most.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Your definitely doing good. We help at an antique/estate auction on weekends.I often see items go thru that would be a good source of materials for less than buying new wood. I don't currently have a pickup so I miss out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts