Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly installed nuc, 3 solid frames of capped brood with capped honey, 1 frame partially capped brood with larvae, one frame filled with comb and honey, another partially filled with empty comb.

Did not notice any eggs, did not see the queen but did find a few queen cells. These are Russians.

·
Registered
147 Posts
How long has the nuc been installed? did you install it into a 10 frame hive? It was really hard for me to spot the queen at first, not to mention eggs! Looking for the smaller wet brood may be an easier task. I spent more time freaking out about my bees the first year than I did enjoying them...I may be reading more into this and you are a seasoned beek. If so, this probably won't apply.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is my first hive, the nuc was installed 5 days ago, I wanted to wait longer but the place I got them from has a 5 day time frame for reporting queenless nucs. Didn't see her during the install either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Okay, that makes perfect sense. It seems that you could make contact with your supplier and let them know what you have/haven't found in the hive. It may help you in case you do have a queen issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After some contemplating I've decided to just let them do their own thing even if it sets them back with production. There were four frames full of bees and I think new bees emerged today.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Newly installed nuc, 3 solid frames of capped brood with capped honey, 1 frame partially capped brood with larvae, one frame filled with comb and honey, another partially filled with empty comb.

Did not notice any eggs, did not see the queen but did find a few queen cells. These are Russians.
Are they queen cells or queen cups. Diff being one has larva in it and the other don't. Russians like to keep queen cups around the hive as well as a cell or two just in case they have to swarm. They don't have to wait as long that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are they queen cells or queen cups. Diff being one has larva in it and the other don't. Russians like to keep queen cups around the hive as well as a cell or two just in case they have to swarm. They don't have to wait as long that way.
That's a great point, I knew that Russians did this but was prepared for the worst since I hadn't seen her twice now.

Honestly I wasn't smart enough to check if it was a cup or cell, inexperience combined with shot nerves because I didn't wear any protection gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts