Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, did my first inspection on both my new hives today. Both hives were installed on Monday the 17th afternoon.

Good
- Both Queens had been released by the workers.
- Both hives had quite a large patch of Burr Comb built where the missing middle frame should have been.
- Lots of Nectar/Sugar Water and some Pollen present in the Cells of Burr Comb of both hives (which I reluctantly removed)
- Bees seemed busy (naturally) and went abou thier tasks with no aggression.

Bad
- Since this was my first inspection I probably went a little quicker than I should have, therefore I did not actually see either Queen (though I did look through two frames from each hive
- Did not look for eggs like I shold have either so - did not see any eggs

I felt fairly good after the inspections bt I cold have done better

Any advice for the next inspection?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I am pretty new too and I'm getting more confident with each inspection i do.
One idea is to take your time and just carefully look through only ONE hive on one day, and the other hive on another day soon after. That way you are more relaxed and don't feel rushed, your smoker fuel lasts for the duration, and you don't get two hives' worth of bees agitated. Plus it's like two inspections instead of one, thus more 'experience' under your belt. Just a thought.

There's nothing like the feeling of gently putting the lid back on a hive after a successful inspection!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"Any advice for the next inspection? "

Stay out of the hives until the 29th or 30th. Then most of the bees will be clustered on 2-3 frames and you should be easily be able to see some capped brood. And further, working out from there you will find larva and then possibly eggs.

Also, check the entrance to see if pollen is coming into the hives. If there is, they are feeding brood.

But remember as you go into the hive, remove one or two outside frames and then start sliding the others to the side so that you can lift them out without rolling/crushing bees and possibly your queen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts