Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been 5 days since my package came in and i did my first inspection today. As I opened the top cover i did notice a few ants. Should I take care of them now and if so with what? As I opened the inner cover I saw lots of bees and then even saw the queen as she is marked. Im running one piece plastic frames and was happy to see lots of comb being drawn. Although everything that was drawn was close to the entrance feeder. Is that a problem? I always thought they would work from the center out but these are definately in relation to the feeder. Im feeding 1:1 with honey b healthy. I also saw inside the come some syrup and pollen. Also saw lots of bees coming in loaded down with pollen. No burr comb was seen. i do have a few questions. When should I open my entrance feeder up more? And is it still okay to be feeding as long as they are taking it? Im open for opinions and suggestions since this is my first beekeeping experience. Also seemed like the smoke irritated the bees more than it calmed them. Is that possible? Just made a lot more bees fly off and buzz louder when i smoked.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree that with a new colony you should feed until your brood boxes are drawn out. Concerning the smoke - when you get the smoker going, put your hand in front of the smoker and see if the smoke is hot. If it is, consider putting green grass on top of your fire material the next time you fill your smoker. This will cool the smoke. Hot smoke irritates bees.

Also you don't need a lot of smoke --unless the bees are just plain ornery when the nectar flow is small. Just a few small puffs at the entrance and then some under the cover. Wait about a minute and then open. With multiple boxes, you may need one puff under the box you are removing -- when you slip the hive tool under the top box, give the puff before you completely remove the uppermost box. Sometimes you need to use a little smoke to herd the bees off the edges of the box so you won't crush them when you replace a box. Point is, try small amounts of smoke. Have fun. Susan

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok sounds like everything is going well. Dont worry about the ants. They will be on the top of the inner cover but I haven't had any in a hive. Bees will take care of them. Keep feeding until they stop taking it. Your getting them going so If they take it they need it. Good that they are bring in pollen. You can move the undrawn outside frames into the middle as they build them out. You can checkerboard and even everything out,but it sounds like everything is good. Now on the entrance my school of thought is how they would be in a tree. Probably a small hole so keep the entrance reduced and it will be less of an area for them to guard against robbing. Once the bees have built up and nectar is on you can take the reducer off. Good luck and it sounds like you and your bees are off to a great start Peace Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so no worries about them drawing from the feeder out? Good to hear...will check them again in a week. Had the chance to help an 81 year old beekeeper catch a swarm today. Good experience.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have you checked you're level on the hive? I'm just curious if they are starting on that side because its slightly downhill or uphill. Mine is very slightly off left to right and the started on the downhill side of my bars.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check them again today...not really that i wanted to but i needed to replace my crap inner cover with a good one. Today i saw lots of capped cells..brood im gonna suspect but they were very yellow and looked slightly fuzzy. I did see lots of eggs and some larvae. Very good for me i suppose. Bees are still drawing out frames. i saw about 4 frames worth fully drawn. i put one undrawn frame near the drawn ones to maybe encourage some work. So they just draw frames as they need them? also some some nectar and pollen packed in some other cells. So hopefully in about 2 more weeks i can add my seconde deep super. thanks for the help fellas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts