Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first inspection today. I hived the bees last wed., and was going to wait a few days before messing with the hives, but they're callin' for rain over the next few days. So, I decided to go today. The hive with the 4 pound package surprised me with the amount of comb on the one frame, and several cells with nectar and pollen. I didn't see my queen, and no evidence of laying. After I got the hive closed up I found out why. The queen died in her cage. She was OK when i put her in, but I was the one to screw up. I put the candy end of the cage facing own and a bee died. They had gone through the candy, but not enough for the bees to get out. I guess I'll call the bee place and order another queen. I didn't see any evidence of cells.

In the second hive with the 3 pound package, The queen jumped right out at me, doing all things queeny... Not as much comb, but nectar and pollen filled what was there. I probably should have looked harder for evidence of laying, but my goal today was to see if the queens had been released and how much sugar syrup was left.

The buckets are still quite a bit full, but there were bees clustered around the opening at both hives, and they're really goin' to town on the pollen patties I tossed in. I have a lot of locust in bloom, and those messy roses they use for fencing.

So, it could be better, but it could also be worse.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Honestly, I'd combine the hives at this point, make a split later if you get another queen. Just do a newspaper combine, make sure the box that goes on top has a top entrance until they chew through.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not unheard of to have new packages come with a faulty/dead queen or human error does them in. Most reputable places will have a few extra queens. I don't think you have lost a lot of time with that package, so if you can get a new queen in the next couple days and reboot, it should be good. Seems the simplest path forward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts