Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been posted 500 times. 7 days after installing a packege, I saw the queen and she was motoring around nicely. About 7 of 10 frames (medium brood box) had a LOT offoundation drawn out a good bit on both sides (that seemed good), and they contained lots of nextar (much probably coming from my hive top feeder which has drawn down a lot) I saw some 'clearish/brownish stuff' in the bottom of some cells towards center of frames, but couldn't really spot any eggs. (I didn't turn the frames to the sun like I was supposed to...grrrrr). Are those brownish cells typically brood cells?

I saw some pollen cells as well, maybe half full.

So, where to go. Should I inspect in 5 more days, look super hard for eggs, and it will be obvious if they (and brood cells) exist or not? Worried!

yeah, I forgot to take photos....

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
One of the first things I ask a mentee when we are discussing hive inspections is whether or not they can see eggs. Many admit they cannot. So wait another week. Larvae and capped brood are real easy to see. Also, if you see a bluish white substance at the bottom of a cell, you do not need to see the larva to know it is there. Don't be so quick to inspect a newly installed package. All you want to know is if the queen has been released. After that give her a week or two before bothering her again. By that time you should see capped brood (9 days after first egg is laid) and you will know all is well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Since you saw the queen, probably all is well. The brown stuff is likely pollen.

Eggs are real hard to see, until you learn how. It will get easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts