to show her, where i'm spending our money, in the last
three month. I passed this exam with no problem and
even got her blessing :)

In our desert climate we have a relative warm winter with many sunny days
and temp between 6-22 Celsius. less then 19 mm rain per year :(

After i put last week, new foundation + feeding sugar syrop, i was curius
if they build anything on the foundation, and was very happy to see
that all the foundation (two sides) was build up with small capped honey
in the corners. I'm starting to fill the bees and there work rhythm i hope.

The bees in my two hives started to build in the feeders and the ceiling
so i added one more foundation to each hive.

Im adding a new web album of my cute hives & baby bees:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tzin.Honey/DesertBeekeeping#

I have some beginner questions of course:

1. Can i put the wild combs that i removed from the feeder & cieling
next to the hive and the bees will leave them and return to the hive in
their free time, or should i take them far away, to avoid any kind of
damage?

2. I saw a bee carrying an trasperanrt drop, half of her body size - is it
nectar? and why she is carrying it like this?

3. How can i know if i have anough Polen in my hive? what is the normal ratio
i need to look at.

Thanks alot
Randi, Israel

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your hive should have frames from end to end, and there should not be spaces between the frames. This is why the bees are building comb like this. Your frames should be touching together.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What who said plus your division board feeder should be hangs down from the top of the hive just like the frames.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
. Can i put the wild combs that i removed from the feeder & cieling
next to the hive and the bees will leave them and return to the hive in
their free time, or should i take them far away, to avoid any kind of
damage?

Yes, you can put the wild combs on the ground beside the hive. The bees will salvage any honey or nectar in those combs.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You can also put the extra comb into a frame and hold it in place with rubber bands. The bees will connect all of the comb together and continue all of the comb and connected it to the frames.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your hive should have frames from end to end, and there should not be spaces between the frames. This is why the bees are building comb like this. Your frames should be touching together.

first thanks for the answer.
Do i have to put extra frames even if i have only foundation and not a drawn combs?

Thank you
Randi

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Rand.....is you have 10 frame equipment, put all 10 frames in and tighten them together. This will give the bees proper "bee" space in the "l" type hive and sometimes they will stop building the burr comb. Most bees as I have seen build some sort of extra comb but giving them the empty foundation allow them to build how they want to and will le them draw out the foundation correct. If not, you could have a mess on your hands!! Mine did not touch frames 1,2,9,10(the 2 outermost) and I ended up swapping them into the middle and they drew them out as well!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yep, you need to have frames in all the way across. Looks like the bees are building up well. Are those green houses in the background?

Now a question for you... In photo #16, it looks like you are putting wire into your foundation, did you buy that or make it? If made please tell how it was made and how it works.
Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Brac,
Thanks for the helpfull information.

answer to you question: I bought a stainless wire 0.7 mm and wire it myself
with a special wooden stand you probably familiar with.

Another question: I understand the Sugar syrup role, but does it serve the bees for kept honey and wax building and part of the honey i extract in the spring is a "sugar honey"?
Thanks
Randi, Israel

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Rand, you will not want to extract if you are feeding them. Really it kinda defeates the purpose, plus you dont want "sugar honey". When you are on a flow, you will not want to feed them, and most likely they wont take it anyway. You can feed them to help build them up, and to make sure they have stores. I fed a lot during our fall, and reallistcally could have gotten some real honey with some sugar honey mixed in, but i left it all to them.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Rand

here how you keep sugar honey out of your supers
since everyone's season is different, let's make up a hypothetical one
you have 6 months of honey flow and six months without
the first year you'll feed when there is no flow and they'll gather nectar when the flow is on. they'll build up a nice strong hive full of stores including sugar honey. you won't get any honey. the next year when the flow begins you'll put another box of foundation on the hive. this is a super, it's in addition to the basic hive. since there is a flow going the bees will draw the foundation into comb and fill it with honey. they will not move sugar honey up from the main hive into the super. at the end of the flow you remove the super and harvest. now you can feed during the season with no flow and they will fill the main hive body with sugar syrup. next time the flow comes you put the empty super back on. if you used an extractor this box already has drawn comb so you save the bees the trouble of drawing it out. they may even be able to draw a second super out and fill it. they can make more honey if they already have drawn comb, but starting out you don't have that so you have to go through this process

of course this varies according to your local conditions but that's the basic process. some folks can get a little honey the first season but I wouldn't bet on it

hope that helps
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts