Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I robbed my hive today. two 10 frame Deep supers fully capped. they weight in at 127lbs totaled after extracted. I cut the comb out of frame and crushed. took 5 hours to crush and drain.

I was wondering what kind of honey it was its lighter then the color of beer or ginger ale. Smell very perfumey and taste very flowery. im new to bees but ive never seen such light colored honey.

I sold a few pints at $12 and quarts for $20 even though I was planning on keeping it all for mead. the crowd of my friend would stop harassing me lol. is this a good price?

·
Registered
324 Posts
What a blessing for your labor and work and alsways thank the bees!!
Sounds like Chinese Tallow Trees but cannot say for sure if you have them in Alabama. They are also called popcorn trees and China Berry or just Tallow trees. I just peeked in on mine this am and it looks and appears that I have sugar syrup in the supers. Its also a little more runny than regular wildflower honey in this area.
It definitely will make great mead but its better table honey or mixed with butter or Bourbon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a blessing for your labor and work and alsways thank the bees!!
Sounds like Chinese Tallow Trees but cannot say for sure if you have them in Alabama. They are also called popcorn trees and China Berry or just Tallow trees. I just peeked in on mine this am and it looks and appears that I have sugar syrup in the supers. Its also a little more runny than regular wildflower honey in this area.
It definitely will make great mead but its better table honey or mixed with butter or Bourbon.
we have popcorn trees but not to any extent. but it taste like these variegated privet bushes in my back yard smell.

should I put two supers to replace the two I took?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you did well. Congrats. We try to get $6.00 a pint. A quart is around three pounds of honey and a pint is around 1.5 pounds.

Shane
Guess it helps im one of very few beekeepers in Hanceville Alabama. how often does one get to pull honey a year?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Guess it helps im one of very few beekeepers in Hanceville Alabama. how often does one get to pull honey a year?
How often one gets to pull honey is very regional. For us, I try to pull after black locust or sourwood (which is mid July for us), just depends. After mid/late July we have a dearth until goldenrod/asters bloom. If our bees maintain through summer, that is a boon. I tend to be very conservative on my harvests, I don't like to feed. So I like them to be near winter weight.

If we have a good goldenrod flow, like we did last year, sometimes we get a fall harvest. Can't count on that at all. Goldenrod honey is definitely one of my favorite types of honey.

Since we missed black locust, my wife's favorite, I may do a fall harvest. If I harvest at all. Trying to build my numbers up.

Shane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts