Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started my first hive and had a couple questions... the hive was started a 10 days ago, and the queen was released from the cage, but i have not been able to locate her yet. My veil hasn't come yet, so it makes it a little difficult to get in there to long. The most active frame is next to the division board feeder... should i check that one first? And they have built some comb in the feder itself on the top... should i remove it? thanks
Chris

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Greetings . . .

Find queen is NOT always necessary (its easier if she is purchased "marked", she will have a dot of paint on her back).

Every time you are in the brood nest, look for EGGS or young larvae. If present, queen was there and doing her job.

14 days after installation of my first package, I found 3 frames of tight brood.

A bit of advice, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a veil.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need that veil ASAP.. will take a quick peak tonight for larvae.. Is the comb in the division board feeder a potential problem? Should i just remove it? I also saw some questions about where to move the frames... if they are really active on one end of the hive should they be moved as to spread the frames thoughout the hive? thanks again...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL.. i do have a hood at work for sand blasting... that may be my next move. i looked again tonight, and there's seems to be tons of comb and food, but didn't see any larvae, but only was able to look a minute. How long would they stay if the quenn wasn't there? thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts