Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought home my first package of bees on Monday and installed them that afternoon. In my excitement and nervousness of the installation is forgot to remove the cork from the queen cage. I know you're supposed to wait 5ish days before opening the hive again but I was worried the about the queen not being released so I opened it on Wednesday afternoon. The bees seemed calm and content and I easily found the box and removed the cork. The bees had been drawing comb on both sides of the frames around the queen cage and seemed to be accepting the queen and feeding her. The next day I received my pollen substitute in the mail, mixed it with some sugar water, and added it to the top where I have some mason jar feeders. Despite all curiosities I did not go deeper to see what they were doing with the queen. 15 minutes later I went back outside and bees were pouring out of the hive. I have many different ideas why but no idea what was actually happening. Is this a swarm? Did my queen get lose and leave? Did the queen die? Did they not like the pollen patties? Did they all eat and need a cleansing flight? There were still bees around today but it was rainy so not much activity and I could hear them inside. I was planning to open it tomorrow to check on the queen and try and see if I can tell what is going on. That's only three days since I last opened it but I'm worried something has happened that I won't be able to fix unless I know what it is soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I installed two pkgs in my Warre hives three weeks ago, huge cleansing flight in the 24hr period after. I went in three days later and released the queens, they've been building comb like crazy top boxes on both hives built out, I was worried at first but kept watching and things gradually started falling into place , might not be anything to worry about yet, somebody with more experience will chime in, good luck.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
There's really no way to answer your question with any certainty because there isn't really enough info provided to give an answer.

Did the bees that "poured" out the hive fly back inside?

·
Registered
442 Posts
My guess is they are orienting to their new home. Large orientation flights can look surprising.

Absconding is also possible, are there any bees left in the hive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is they are orienting to their new home. Large orientation flights can look surprising.

Absconding is also possible, are there any bees left in the hive?
There are bees in the hive and they are still drawing comb but there were definitely much fewer than there should be.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all, found this thread about first hive worries... may I ask a question too?

We picked up our first nuc yesterday and I installed it in the fresh new box, but was so nervous I forgot to look at the frames while transferring them, and didn't see the queen as a result. Afraid I squished a bee or two while putting in the frames, also. :( Anyway, the bees seemed to settle in quite well, not much flying around. I left the nuc box leaned up next to the entrance so the stragglers inside the box could find their way into the hive. Put on a quart of syrup in an entrance feeder and left them alone to acclimate and orient.

This morning I went out and removed and put away the nuc box and lid (looks like they all found their way into the hive). There were about five or six dead bees on the landing board, where I assume the mortuary bees left them. A couple more dead bees lying near the entrance. None entering, exiting, or flying around at all. While I was watching, one bee came out of the hive, crawled off the edge of the landing board, fell on her back below the hive. She was able to right herself, but did not fly off - started crawling around unsteadily. The feeder level had gone down only about half an inch. I think it's too early to open the box to check on them, is that correct, they need a couple more days?

I'm hoping the lack of activity is just because it's a cool, cloudy morning? (about 49 deg F) Is this a normal scenario, or should I be worrying?

Thanks! Wosiewose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts