Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first hive inspection on my two packaged hives. It has been exactly one week since I released the queens and 9 days since the packages were installed.
Upon inspection I found both queens were laying, pollen, nectar, and some cells being capped. Most of the capped cells were in the hive that had some comb that had partially (barely) been drawn from my failed attempt last year. The hives were calm and not aggressive at all. I had planned to go gloveless but backed out. I wish I would have as I didnt even have a bee touch my hands. I checked my SBB tray and found no mites. I was quite suprised at the weight of the frames covered with bees. I hope my back will be able to handle this hobby.

Questions:
1. Is the capped stuff honey already?
2. Didnt seem to be alot of eggs, mostly pollen and nectar. Is this normal?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I was quite suprised at the weight of the frames covered with bees. I hope my back will be able to handle this hobby.

If you have deeps, wait until they fill one with honey. 90 pounds.

>1. Is the capped stuff honey already?
Probably brood. What do the caps look like? waxy? Papery?

>2. Didnt seem to be alot of eggs, mostly pollen and nectar.

Eggs are hard to see. You should see larvae.

>Is this normal?

Some queens take a while to start laying, but I would expect eggs by now usually and in another week for sure.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you just installed the bees 9 days ago I would be really surprised to see capped honey already. Are the cappings in the center of the frames? If so, I would expect these to be capped brood.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
If he just released the queen 7 days ago, I would be VERY,VERY, surprised to see capped brood. Honey, YES, brood, NO.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
>I had planned to go gloveless but backed out. I wish I would have as I didnt even have a bee touch my hands.

I know what you mean, I installed mine today and went gloveless for the first one, then had an overwelming urge to wear glove for the second so I did! I was hold the queen cage and about 25 excaped bees were trying to land on the queen cage in my hands.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I installed them and when I released the queens I had a few bees sting my gloves. They were trying to protect the queen I guess. I accidently dropped the queen cage into the package for the first hive. The second hive had alot of bees lose as soon as I removed the cover (between the feeder can and lid). I wasnt expecting that. I didnt follow the advice of my instructions. They stated that I should crush any bees on the queen cage. Luckily the gloves keep me from getting stung and I didnt have to crush 8-10 bees.
The cappings were along the edges and were white and waxy. Most were not fully capped, just partially. I was really suprised to see cappings so soon.
I was just wandering how many eggs I should be seeing this early. I assume there would be small numbers right now. Not to mention the ones I missed and the ones hidden by the bees.

[ May 01, 2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: jdagpatton ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts