Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set out to do my very first honey harvest this morning (after help yesterday about what to do about the wrong size fume board). Here is what I learned:

1. Be sure your extractor is the correct size for the frames you are using - mine was not. I now have an extractor for sale.....never been used.

2. The uncapping knife is VERY sharp and blood in the honey is not very appealing. I think you should remove the capped honey in a downward motion, not upward as my book says.

3. The crush and strain method of harvesting works very well, and I think that is what I will do in the future.

4. Remember to remove the fume board after you have taken the supers off - I left it on all day. The bees are probably in a dug induced coma now.

4. I have 33 -1 lb jars of the best honey I have ever eaten, a whole bunch of wax, extremely painful arthritic hands, and a smile on my face. I think I am strutting when I walk, too.

I just had to share this with other bee people - thanks for listening!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
:lpf: Im laughing with you not at you, thanks for the post, glad you got your honey, sorry I forgot to mention taking the fume board off when the mission was accomplished :) When using a knife always cut away from you :) It is nice when you all done and can STRUT :D Congratulations and enjoy your honey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts